Sign in to follow this  

Is this worth it? buying a crf450

i am lookin at a lightly used 2004 crf450 that was lightly riden. Seller is lettin it go for $2000. bike is completely stock clean and doesnt appear to be abused. just wondering if this was a good deal or not?

its hard to say without seeing it and knowing how many hours are on it. If its low hours and was maintained well then it seems like a pretty good deal

yea it was originally a womans bike riden twice by her then she never rode it again (too much power) then her son started riding it about 6 desert trips by him. but for the most part its been sitting in the garage with a tarp over it. these people dont even own a truck... or a trailer...

Its a good deal. I have an 03 and 04 is almost the same and is a great bike.

if you like paying for valve jobs. 04 has soft material used in valve seats

& the valves them self. you could replace them all with stainless steel ones if bikes in exc. shape , parts & labor is costly. add anothe grand . for 3 grand you could buy a younger bike in good shape , 05 & up honda fixed the problem. i went through it myself. i got a good 06 for 3grand had it for 2 seasons havent touched the valve yet. starts 1 or 2 kicks.

I picked up a supermotard 05 450 with sprung and valved suspension front and rear, Custom one off titanium M4 exhaust, Motomaster race caliper, Magura front radial master cylinder, Steel braided lines and BEHR wheels. All for $1500. Deal of a lifetime :thumbsup:

It sounds like a good deal to me. Just dont be suprised if you get it and the valves go out of spec. For some reason in 04 Honoda did a real crappy job. If you redo um definetly go with stainless steel and ull be fine. But the bike is awsome with plenty of power, id recommed it

I picked up a supermotard 05 450 with sprung and valved suspension front and rear, Custom one off titanium M4 exhaust, Motomaster race caliper, Magura front radial master cylinder, Steel braided lines and BEHR wheels. All for $1500. Deal of a lifetime :lol:

SWEET JESUS!!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you just can't tell buy looking at. The 04 isn't a 2010, 09, 08 you get what I mean. I have heard of some very good deals on 08's and 09's out there in the $4500 range.

If you look at the grips (if they are original), clutch cover, Stator cover(look for wear), Chain and sprockets(original? do the sprockets have lots of life or are they hooked out and done). Has the oil been changed? and Air filter. Pop the seat off and have a look. If all these things might point you to a good buy.

But.......then again maybe they did only ride it a few times but when they did they ride it like they stole it.

ya just never know

Edited by robg
mistakes

An all stock 04 with 10, or so hours, is definitely worth $2k. The 04 is a good bike. I put over 200 hours on my old 04 and never had to touch the valves.