Sign in to follow this  

Interesting Carb on my XR400

Can anyone ID this? It looks like some kind of flat slide, I have no idea what size or what its off of. This bike was set up pretty seriously by the PO, it was raced at a number of major venues around the country and I have no doubt that it was set up right based on the receipts I got with the purchase. However, it was passed through a few family hands before I got it, and now its got a lot of rust and appearance issues. Someone, somewhere put this carb on it, and I havent run it much since I've gotten it. I know its a bear to start, but it runs well enough once its on. My experience is mostly two strokes and street bikes, so any help here is appreciated.

on to the pics...

4403106798_a0cf7e6975.jpg

4402341069_4dba11c5af.jpg

4403106968_4e35bec821.jpg

4403107182_0e1b4b254e.jpg

4402341237_9b7ccdf063.jpg

Its a single cable, the cable goes straight to the slide, and into the top of the carb.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Well it looks like a Mikuni TM series flat slide. The question now is, should I be looking to replace this?

Looks like a Mikuni TMX. Is there no other markings on the carb?

I think it would be wise to replace it with a carb that uses a push/pull throttle cable setup.

In all the research Ive done, I've never seen anyone talk about a TM series carb on an XR. Strange...

Maybe it was common a few years ago? XR's only sells these for the 250, the 350, and the 600, so my guess is that its a 36mm maybe that USED to be offered for the 400, or its a 600 carb that someone fit to the bike. In any case, I guess it tunes like any other flatslide.

Looks like a basic 38mm TM carb for the XR. These were common in Australia and used by Honda Australia on their racing XR400. If the bike runs fine, keep it.