WFO Trailriders/Chadwick MO

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be honest with you. We ride a little bit of the{ wfo }mode and some riders may not like that but when it comes to the hare scramble riders, they are faster and in better shape than I am. Walker, our leader is very fast hut he will slow down to keep the group together. If you think you can handle some gnarly rock you would like runs we take. Just look for the yellow FJ and stop by. We might be camped just past the play area intersection.

WFO Trailriders heading down to Chadwick tonight and tomorrow. Have not heard if any one else is going to be there and wants to hook up. I hurt my back and just got back to work yesterday so I will be taking some easy rides hopefully. Will take a few easy ones if anybody wants to ride, let me Know. I will be at the cabins and others will be at our usual spot most likely. John from Ill. will be there too.:banana:

I went riding at Chadwick Sunday (3-14) for the first time. It was my first time back on a bike in 15 years and let me tell you this terrain was unexpected and almost ate my lunch. With the terrain and weather conditions, I guess you could say I decided to jump in with both feet :banana:

In my younger days, my father was stationed at Edwards AFB which is out in the middle of the Mojave Desert, Southern California...so riding out there was nothing like what I experienced yesterday!!

All in all...it was an intense ride but wish I knew of some trails that didn't involve so much hill climbing or rock crawling (something a little flatter) but from what I seen, those trails don't exist LOL

I will definitely get my bike operating properly for the terrain and a new back tire, then give it another shot!!?

Slippery Si and brveagle, if this is the first time out to Chadwick for either one of ya's, I would suggest riding with someone who is familiar with that territory. There are easier loops at Chadwick to ride for first timers but they are full of quads and deep water holes. The main reason bikers go there are for the single cuts that quads cannot go and tear up. I know that my first time out there, I hated ROCKS!! I have been riding there for 10 years now and rocks are no longer a problem, it is those dang TREES!!

YZ, yep I found out about the water holes first hand, sunk my bike in about 2 ft of water within the first half hour!? needless to say, I didnt lead after that.

I went with some buddies of mine that had rode out there before, however they were on quads. I believe we were on 113, 131, and 132B. I only laid it down 2 or 3 times,considering first time on a bike in 15 years and the conditions, I didnt do too bad I feel. I sure had the pucker factor going all day though.

Are there any trails that don't involve climbing rock stepped hills?

What/where are the single cut trails that you mentioned?

I cant wait to try chadwick without two days of rain on it! :banana:

Slippery Si, not this weekend but the weekend after, I will be out there with my friend who *ahem* rides a quad. If you would like to hook up with us, I can show you better places to ride and some of the handcuts. That weekend looks to be a drier weekend. We usually park at the Pavillion and we will be in a white Ford F150 extended cab with a blue trailer behind it which will have my bike on it. Just let me know if you are up to it and I promise not to lose you on the ride, but remember one thing about Chadwick, slow speed will beat you up, medium speed is better and never, ever stare at an obstacle in front of you, pay attention to what is in front of you about 20 yards up.

YZ, I really appreciate the invite and the insight!!! I don't think I will be riding for a little while though. I have some repairs to make to my bike. I just got the bike a few weeks ago and have been going through it to make sure everything is operating properly. I changed my gear oil and it was real milky, put new oil in it, fired it up for a few minutes and looked at it and the new fluid was already turning milky. From what I read, it looks to be the water pump seal is bad. I think I will take the time and Repair the cooling system (Radiators are also showing signs of leaking) before I get to the bottom of the Chadwick hills and have mechanical problems LOL

Probably going to have to get with DBU to get me back on the trails.

I'll just be happy to be able to ride in weather above 50 degrees.

As for wet, I've only rode at the 'Wick 2-3 times in the last year when it was dry.

Wet I don't mind, it's the cold I hate.

Supposed to be in the lower 60's this Friday (3-19), I'm thinking about heading over to Chadwick after work for a couple of hours (probably all I'll have in me after 8 hrs in the steel shop). Supposed to rain and be in the lower 40's again Saturday.:banana:

I'll just be happy to be able to ride in weather above 50 degrees.

As for wet, I've only rode at the 'Wick 2-3 times in the last year when it was dry.

Wet I don't mind, it's the cold I hate.

Supposed to be in the lower 60's this Friday (3-19), I'm thinking about heading over to Chadwick after work for a couple of hours (probably all I'll have in me after 8 hrs in the steel shop). Supposed to rain and be in the lower 40's again Saturday.:banana:

This is why I'm planning on coming down on Friday. I think I talked one of my riding buddies into getting "sick" on Friday so we can do some Chadwick riding in the 60+ degree weather. Right now we're planning on leaving Thursday after work and riding all day Friday, then probably leaving before the rain/snow starts flying on Saturday. I'll post up when I know we're going for sure.

This is why I'm planning on coming down on Friday. I think I talked one of my riding buddies into getting "sick" on Friday so we can do some Chadwick riding in the 60+ degree weather. Right now we're planning on leaving Thursday after work and riding all day Friday, then probably leaving before the rain/snow starts flying on Saturday. I'll post up when I know we're going for sure.

Now they're talking "upper 60's" for Friday.:banana:

I'm going to try real hard to get through the work day in one piece and get an afternoon ride in.?

Heading down today after work. Hopefully, I can cut out a little early so I can make it to Chadwick before dark. I'm planning on camping at the primitive area past all of the turn-ins for the official campground.

Should be awesome weather for tomorrow- high of 64 and partly cloudy. :banana: