Sign in to follow this  

What pro tapers are on my 2008 YZ 250?

I am trying to figure out what model of pro tapers came on my 2008. I am looking for a higher bar and want to compare sweeps from stock to my options.

I could look but that involves removing my damper etc.....:thumbsup:

Hoping someone can just chime in.

Thanks guys.

Mine has them too, they look like a factory thing. I have no idea what type they are either

I have used the contour in cr high bend, and most recently an evo in the windham rm mid. The cr has more pull back than the windham and the windham is slightly taller, but I really didn't notice. I liked the cr high in the +2 position, but the windham feels better at the +1. I suppose that the difference in the pullback is what I feel there. These bars are on my hare scramble bike, so standing comfort is what I try to achieve.

You can compare rise, pull back, width etc. In the rockymountain atv catalog.

Actually, after Saturdays race I can make you a great deal on a slightly bent set of evo's! Only one ride on them!

I thought those EVo's were suppose to be stronger??? That must have been some get off. :thumbsup:

Yeah i am looking for taller and a more neutral position w less sweep.

I cant find my stinking rocky catalog either. ha...So typical

yea, one of those crashes you can't quite remember!

It was in a rocky wash, I was trying to get around a train of riders due to an abysmal start because I stalled the motor trying to launch in second. I was taking some chances because passing was difficult due to narrow course. I saw an opportunity and went for it, 5th gear pinned drag race against a 450. I couldn't quite get around before a narrowing of the trail and the 450 moved over a little and his seat came up under my bars and it was a** holes and elbows from there. I'm sure glad I had lots of gear on. My 661 comp suit is battered my camel back is ripped up, my helmet is all scratched and I'm pretty sure that the alpinestars neck brace saved me from more serious injury. Somehow I also managed to bust the clutch lever even with cycra probends, so i was limping in from there. All and all a forgettable day.

...Yeah i am looking for taller and a more neutral position w less sweep.
650RACER, I think the stock Yamaha ProTapers are the Henry/Reed bend.

With that said, I recently switched to the Windham bend (from my trusty Henry/Reed ProTapers) on my '06 YZ and was stunned by how 'natural' they felt.

A little taller, a little less sweep, and a surprising improvement!

I recommend them highly, highly, highly.

:thumbsup::lol: :lol: :):lol::)

Why wouldn't they be YZ High bend (3.31")?

KX high bends are about 7/8" (4.25")higher and the Honda CR High bends sort of split the difference (3.75").

There is a Carmichael High Bend at (4.49") and an ATV High bend at 4.75".

I had the Carmichael High Bend on my CR250. I liked them. But I have so many bars around that I hate to buy new ones.

If you sit down much the Carmichael High Bend (4.49") would be a bit high for most guys. But stander uppers like me are cool with it.

With that said, I recently switched to the Windham bend (from my trusty Henry/Reed ProTapers) on my '06 YZ and was stunned by how 'natural' they felt.

I put Henry/Reed bend Tag T2s on my YZ450, and they were taller and straighter than the stock Yamaha bars.. I liked them quite a bit better, but I bent them.. and found a set of Windham bend Pro Tapers I had laying around and put those on there, and I really like them as well. Not the biggest fan of the stock bars personally. What I've heard is it's a custom bend, and you can only get them through the dealership, you can't even buy them straight from Pro Taper I don't think. I bet a quick call or email to Pro Taper could tell you what bend they sell is closest to the stock bars though...

I thought those EVo's were suppose to be stronger??? That must have been some get off. :)

Yeah i am looking for taller and a more neutral position w less sweep.

I cant find my stinking rocky catalog either. ha...So typical

Well for EVO bars...

YZ HI and KTM/Suzuki havw hardly any sweep and is probly what your looking for.

If you want high bars then windham/rm mid is the highest and Carmicheal is the lowest of all the bars.

The henry/reed is in the middle of all the bars. The windham/rm mid has less sweep than the reeds and the tallest the CR HI and Woods HI are pretty close with a mix of height and sweep.