Sign in to follow this  

Fear of ruts, esp. sand ruts??

Had my first enduro, I learned that I have a lot to work on. Most of it has to do with cornering; I can do wide flat corners or large (solid, not rutted) berms just fine. My problem is that I'm too scared to ride a rut through a corner. I know it can be a great help since you can go faster on them, but I fear that the rut won't end up in a safe place. I also have trouble lining up the bike inside a rut while going fast. They're just too narrow, very little room for error.

Another fear is ruts in sand. I feel that if I lean on them too much they'll just crumble and I'll fall.

What should I do?? It's really the only thing hurting my times (they say races are won in the corners). Should I hit an MX track? Be more confident? More weight on front tire?

I hate ruts... :lol:

Any tips are greatly appreciated! :thumbsup::ride:

i race MX and kinda felt the same way you do, when i started hitting rutted corners i felt i was going as safely fast as possible only to see my buddies rip through them. Took me a while to build up the confidence to attack them. Ever see a pro MX'er hit a rutted turn and his bars are literally inches from the ground? believe me the rut wont give out. I guess all i can say is practice makes perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVMXIRxQPY8&feature=related

that's about how far you can lean the bike over in a smooth rut.

sand ruts are the easiest of them all, because they move and change as soon as you hit them, more throttle is always the answer in sand ruts.

Good advice, especially stay on the throttle in the sand...I actually was having some issues with cornering (and I have a small track around my house with a couple of berm turns, which helps) and I basically spent a few hours doing nothing but going around in a circle around the berms and start to feel what the difference is when I was on the throttle vs off and found that now I am a lot less aprehensive about gassing it in turns and that has made me faster. The long and short of it is find a spot, whether it is a track or a regular riding area where you practice just turns for a few hours and then practice more! Good luck.

All good advice so far. Try thinking about it like this. Ruts going in a straight line have edges on both sides. Rutted turns usually only have a lip on the outside, so just lean the bike over a little more each time and keep on the gas, find the sweet spot, and keep practicing! If you fall it won't hurt, you'll most likely just lowside and just kinda tip over.

I set up cones in a grass field to work on flat turns too, that helps a lot with getting comfortable sliding the bike almost supermoto style haha. Hope that helps!