Sign in to follow this  

school me on a 06

i have the opertunity to grab a very low hour 06 kx450f. i had a 06 crf450 last year and now have a 05 kx250. i am aintermediate class racer and now race the +35 vet class.

i have searched about the bike and sounds pretty good. i will raise the forks in the tubes, and ride the hell out of it. are the number backgrounds the same for a 250 f and a 450f?

how will it be compared to my old crf?

never ridden a green thumper.

heres my 250

DSC02462.jpg

Put a 49 rear sprocket, check the springs vs you and your riding style, check the oil screen near the flywheel, then ride the hell out of it. If it has the stock front tire or chain, replace immediately.

If you like the quick turning of the cr, might need to get a set of 22 mm tripleclamps, as the green bikes are a little longer, wider and taller.

More ideas ...

Budget for a new piston+pin. Just to be sure. I suggest you go Wiseco std comp. Nice and light and a good match for the light weight 06 crank and rod.

Dont trust the rear axle marks. Instead check sprocket alignment with a straight edge against the rear sprocket. Could save you from butchering the left side subframe bolt and boss.

Does this 06 have stock suspension? If yes, the 06 forks are very harsh in the mid stroke, and the 06 stock shock wallows around and also allows the rear to kick too much.