Sign in to follow this  

New Rotella t-6 5w 40

I just had my wife pick me up some Rotella at wally world, and noticed the label is differant. It is t-6, i checked there website and it does not show the stuff i have been using for years. It states this is more energy effecient-does that mean it is ok to run with wet clutches still or does it have friction modifiers in it? I have ran rotella with no issues for years but i am a little gun shy and was curious if anybody else has used this yet. It may have been out for a while, i think the last time i bought like 5 gallons at one time when it was on sale so i have not needed any in a while. Please let me know i need to change oil before this weekends abuse! Thanks.

I know they reduced the amount of phosphates (additive) in the oil to comply with those ultra low sulphur diesel clean air requirements. The newer blends break down quicker and do not provide the wear protection of the older oils. Many people and parts stores assume that the shiny new packaging must be better than the old stuff, and quit carrying the older blends to reduce the amount of stock or just out of ignorance.

I will start using their 5t stuff, its a synth blend, which is better in my opinion for our scoots, its the ones in the silver bottle.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/t5_detail.html

Note that the new Rotella oils now have the motorcycle use approval rating.

I was always told to NOT use it if it said energy efficient..... but I dont know for sure....

So does this mean that we should not be using the new blend of this Rotella? If the oil is breaking down faster/sooner as well as not providing the same level of protection as the old blend, it seems like this new blend isn't exactly ideal for our bikes? With the reduced amount of phosphates how does this effect our clutch and gears? Does this mean they will not shift as smooth being that the oil breaks down quicker?

I was always told to NOT use it if it said energy efficient..... but I dont know for sure....

In this case, it does not refer to the addition of friction modifiers therefore this oil is 'safe' for use with wet clutches.

Part of the reason this was such a good oil option for us was the fact it had a lot of phosphates, which reduce wear quite a bit. The newer blends have alternative modifiers to do the same work, but dont seem to have the same protection for our applications. Plus a full synthetic is a terrible idea for new clutches or top ends, much like in 2strokes, you never break in with straight synthetics, or you dont get good seats for the rings and such.

The older blend was a killer option because it was designed for dirty, hard working engines, that may or maynot ever see the likes of pavement. This fact allowed for a higher focus on lubrication vs burn off. This new blend is trying to meet the lube but do it with a cleaner burn off, thus lower phosphates and lead in the mix (which do a nice job of lubricating and providing a nice film on everything thing they touch).

I will be doing what I can to stick with older label stuff, or the new 5t version.