Sign in to follow this  

anyone sm a xr650L?

with a new baby and new mortgage i want best of both worlds. I'm thinking that if i sell my dirt and street bike I'll buy a 650L and get two sets of wheels, one set for dirt and other for street, of course with different sprockets and chains.... Living in pa near philly it's not a dirt bike friendly place so to ride my cr was always a 1 to 4 hour trip. Commuting on knobbies is also not fun. Any trail riding with my atv buds is also illegal without a dualsport. The thought of a 650r is mouth melting but seems to be far from street friendly compared to the L.

I lean more to the trails and mock mx tracks of PA but streetable enough to dodge philly trafic. Do any mx forks bolt up? can i have a decent street bike that I can convert back to dirt for occasional weekend dirt rides? what mods make a better dirt and what mods make a better street?

My opinion; the XRL is a good choice. Gear it with a 14T front and 48T rear and it will do both just fine. Stock gearing is 15/45. From my experience, the suspension on the L is as good as most and better than some stock off road bikes. The problem with the XRL, as it is with most dual sports, is the weight and the size of the fuel tank. Find one with a Clark 4.3 gallon tank (or convert), and you will have the range and the power for a lot of fun. There is a lot that can be done to remove some weight from the bike depending on what your state requires to still be street legal.

Edited by bstig60
Add text