Sign in to follow this  

KDX chain

just picked up a nice 96 kdx 200. i saw that the chain on the bike was wearing oddly- the sides where all shiney and worn down. after taking the chain off i see that it has been rubbing on the case!

the chain is not even streched, its just baddly worn on the sides. i dont trust it and i dont want it to rub on the case. can i order a new o-ring chain for my bike and not have this problem?

Rubbing on the case? How is this possible? There would have to be some issue with the counter shaft. Usually the chain will rub on the rear chain guide a bit, causing some wear to the sides of the chain. On your bike the guide is for a standard chain, so an o-ring chain will rub even more if it's not clearanced or changed out for an FRP or kdx220 guide.

Ya something fishy is going on here. Rubbing the case means something is up bigtime.

if i get some time with a camera in the next few days i will post some pics. temps have been in the 20's so im not too exited about going to a nice cold garage lol.

i can see the rear sprocket to the front sprocket is lined up strait, and the swing arm slider is wearing evenly and strait

foe all you guys that call me crazy, some pictures. its a 520HV oring chain. its slightly wider than 3/4inch, this was why it was hitting the case.

KDXcase.jpg

KDXcase2.jpg

KDXchain.jpg

i apologize for the poor quality pictures, all i had was a cell phone cam.

Does the collar behind the sprocket, that goes into the case, look worn, or any form of buggered up? From my manual blow up picture, that looks to be what regulates how far on the sprocket goes, other than the end of the spline teeth.

Does the sprocket move in and out very much on the shaft while the circlip is on, and everything is as it is being ran?

That's right, there's just the collar, then sprocket, then the snap ring. I'm willing to bed that collar is missing or something.

the chain is/was the problem. it was an HV520 motorcycle chain- WAY to thick for a dirtbike. the collar and output shaft have no play in them, and they align straight with the rear sprocket.

i picked up a new standard chain yesterday, and it fits perfectly. i think it was a case of a backyard mechanic trying to be cheap and fit a motorcycle chain on a dirtbike.

thanks for all the help

the chain is/was the problem. it was an HV520 motorcycle chain- WAY to thick for a dirtbike. the collar and output shaft have no play in them, and they align straight with the rear sprocket.

i picked up a new standard chain yesterday, and it fits perfectly. i think it was a case of a backyard mechanic trying to be cheap and fit a motorcycle chain on a dirtbike.

thanks for all the help

A dirt bike isn't a motorcycle?

I still say something is wrong. A 520 o-ring chain will easily clear the case on a KDX.

A dirt bike isn't a motorcycle?

its not a street bike that requires a chain to withstand 100+hp at the rear wheel no. street bike chains can have thicker plates on the links-this accounts for the chain being much wider than a NORMAL 520 chain.