Sign in to follow this  

Just finished the jetting... with an idle Speed question.

First and foremost. Other than not knowing about Honda changing the part number on the Pilot... everything went real smooth with re-jetting the 230. Very easy mod.

Got everything back together, and cranked it up. Once the engine got the fuel, it fired right up. No need for fiddling with the choke to get it to idle either. I've heard that this is normal with the re-jetting mod.

Love the way it sounds with the muffler uncorked also. Much better than the stock putter sound. :thumbsup:

Question is... how do I know if the bike is at the correct idle speed? Did some searching, but couldn't find much.

Went on YouTube and found a clip of a 230 that's idling about at the same speed as mine. This one may be idling just a bit quicker...

Does this sound about right?

Appreciate the patience with a noob. :ride:

The best way to check idle speed is with a tachometer. According to the manual it should idle at about 1400 RPM. If you don't have access to a tach, turn out the idle screw just until it feels like the bike is going to die. Then turn it in about a 1/4 turn, or until it "feels" like a good idle speed. It will take some more adjustments to the idle screw to get it just right.

The idle speed of the bike in that youtube video is about right.

The best way to check idle speed is with a tachometer. According to the manual it should idle at about 1400 RPM. If you don't have access to a tach, turn out the idle screw just until it feels like the bike is going to die. Then turn it in about a 1/4 turn, or until it "feels" like a good idle speed. It will take some more adjustments to the idle screw to get it just right.

The idle speed of the bike in that youtube video is about right.

Appreciate the info! :thumbsup:

Should this be done when the engine is at normal operating temperature?

Appreciate the info! :thumbsup:

Should this be done when the engine is at normal operating temperature?

Yes, it should be done with the bike at operating temp. However, since the bike wants to idle at a different speed when cold, you may need to play with the idle screw to get an adequate idle when both cold and warm. It's sort of a balancing act between cold and warm, so that ultimately when it's set right, you should never have to touch the idle screw again.

Jeff is right, investing $39 in a tach/hour meter is well worth it simply for the hour meter alone. I installed one on my KTM and the hour meter takes the guessing out of maintenance and maintenance logs. Along with that, if the hour meter is installed when the bike is new, you know EXACTLY how may hours are on the bike when you go to sell it, which makes any potential buyer a little more comfortable.

Yes, it should be done with the bike at operating temp. However, since the bike wants to idle at a different speed when cold, you may need to play with the idle screw to get an adequate idle when both cold and warm. It's sort of a balancing act between cold and warm, so that ultimately when it's set right, you should never have to touch the idle screw again.

Jeff is right, investing $39 in a tach/hour meter is well worth it simply for the hour meter alone. I installed one on my KTM and the hour meter takes the guessing out of maintenance and maintenance logs. Along with that, if the hour meter is installed when the bike is new, you know EXACTLY how may hours are on the bike when you go to sell it, which makes any potential buyer a little more comfortable.

yeah thanks!

They went up to $47 now but still great investment.