Sign in to follow this  

09' vs. 10' 250

take the deal I don't think they changed much. 2011 suppose to be the year for big changes.

I'm happy with my 09, and I haven't heard of any revolutionary changes for 10.

Get the deal on the '09. The only change for the 2010, apparently, is an improvement of the air filter box.

The '09 are not really sealed so if you ride in really wet condition the filter may get soacked and your engine will drink water.

The '09 are not really sealed so if you ride in really wet condition the filter may get soacked and your engine will drink water.

Where is it not sealed? Could I fix it with some silicone?

The only diference betwenn them is the front brake, the offset of the triple camps (22mm agains 18 to 20 of the 09) and a very small improvement in the air filter box, in both xc-w and xc models the suspension setings change a bit but the one that as the biggest improvement is the xc model.

Oh, the xc model as also a small update in the head, nothing fancy tough.

Where is it not sealed? Could I fix it with some silicone?

The part to seal is under the rear fender assembly, between the orange and black parts, on both sides. Shane Watts in his video uses duct tape - I did the same. I replaced the air filter cover with the ones with holes, it's about $22.00 and give the necessry air flow.

There is very little room between the air filter and the bottom of the air box, so if some water gets in it it will soak the air filter.

Note also that the rear fender is shaped the way that if it rains water will go between the seat and the fender straight down in the air filter box.

There is TSB about the starter, it should be removed, cleaned and resealed every 20 hrs. also there is a recall for the forks, depending on the date of manufacturing they will be repalced or not.

Ask the dealer about the recall before you buy so if they need to replace the forks, you will not waste warranty time, with the bike sitting at the shop.

Buy it ride it.

That's what I figured. Scrambler, do you have e-start on your bike?

Yes, I have the estart, and it works good. It isn't as strong as the four stroke starters, but it works. I took mine apart to regrease it and it didn't even need it. It was clean and was still well coated in grease.

I've never read or heard anything about a recall on the forks that MotoXC mentioned. I'm also pretty sure that the 2010 air filter is located low in the air box just like the 09's.

2009 250XC to be delivered on the 19th! I'm considering buying the e-start but have heard a lot of bad and not too much good. I don't need it right now but our winter series has dead engine starts and I figured it will bring me the holeshot every time!

Yes, I have the estart, and it works good. It isn't as strong as the four stroke starters, but it works. I took mine apart to regrease it and it didn't even need it. It was clean and was still well coated in grease.

I've never read or heard anything about a recall on the forks that MotoXC mentioned. I'm also pretty sure that the 2010 air filter is located low in the air box just like the 09's.

Go to http://www.cpsc.gov and type ktm sportmotorcylce and it will come out with the forks recall and the one for the brakes on ATVs. It affects the 250/300 XC-W and other models, so if you pick an XC it should be ok, however there is lot of liability involved in possible breakage of the tubes, that's why KTM did not take a chance.

I just bought a 2010 250XCW. I had an opportunity for a 2009 too. But the price difference was only $300. I figured that was money to be returned when I sold the bike. $6,900 OTD.

I would pay extra for a 2010 XC model, I like the clear tank and the new triple clamps, around here that stuff is equal to about $800. I always figure the new model is worth atleast $500 each model year at trade in time. So for me I would consider the 2009 XC only if it were $1,300 cheaper....

2009 250XC to be delivered on the 19th! I'm considering buying the e-start but have heard a lot of bad and not too much good. I don't need it right now but our winter series has dead engine starts and I figured it will bring me the holeshot every time!

The 09 250 comes with Estart.

You 100% on the e-start?

Anywho, I ordered EE radiator braces, EE skidplate, EE hanguards, KTM powerparts rear rotor guard, and the JD jet kid.

Any other suggestions on what to add to my list of parts needed?

I'm planning on riding the stock suspension for a few rides to see how it works and get used to the bike before I get it revalved.