Sign in to follow this  

Mountain bike suspension computer

Pretty cool but the day it becomes nessasary to be a puter programer to be a suspension tuner I'll be done.....:thumbsup:

doc

Pretty cool but the day it becomes nessasary to be a puter programer to be a suspension tuner I'll be done.....:thumbsup:

doc

c'mon doc, no more oily fingers. I'm sure they will write a program just for you with only two parameters: "better" and "worse" :ride:.

I'll be the guy replacing the broken screens and trying to build on wireless so i can access it while my rider is doing laps in hopes of lowering his times :thumbsup:

Actually, they can take away the screens for moto/hs and just have

a hand held hart communicator to access the parameters before the

race or moto sessions. No need to have the screens. Or have

the ability to accomodate both as needed. Maybe have the screens

mounted during testing then save the parameters. Then use the remote

communicator just before the race.

Very cool Dave thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

There will always be vintage work to do!:ride:

thats awesome, but im guessing that its not cheap at all. and just one more wire to get ripped off in a crash.

To make it instantly stiffer (preload) , there must be a CO/2 catridge involved?

That is cool as hell.

Much, much more interesting than what Ohlins was doing in WSB for a while with actual mechanical adjustments of the external 'clickers' on the fly based on GPS.

Ah, you see what's coming... Active suspension. It automatically will adjust based on either GPS or internal accelerometers- It'll be able to tell the angle of the chassis, so know if you're going up a steep hill and auto lower the front, same for down hill. It'll be able to sense high speed movement and add damping... Scary and sweet all at the same time.

So, electronics is finally migrating into motorcycle suspension...

Corvettes have had electronically controlled driver adjustable suspension for 15 years or so (driver selectable presets) done the same way; stepping motors at the shocks. Lincoln had a semi-active suspension about that long ago, and I'm sure there are other examples.

Honda's F1 cars came out something like 25 years back with a fully active suspension system that was entirely done with microprocessor controlled servo motors, no springs at all. It worked so well it was outlawed. I watched a film of the car at a race the went through public roads at Monte Carlo. There was a notorious chicane section by the waterfront where they had to jog across the intersection of two misaligned streets at near 90 mph, and the sidewalks were famous for tearing up suspensions. The Honda drove straight over the curb corners with complete impunity. It was like the car stepped over them. Unreal.

Maybe one day we'll get to that level.

Dave- this was precisely what I was envisioning when you and I first began to discuss suspension and the current technology. Only, I was thinking more of electronic controlled servo-motors of some sort.

You spoke of the difficulty controlling vibration and the elimination of heat. If you will remember your response back to me was that the most efficient way to control the current forces experienced in today's dirt bikes was through the mechanical means we currently incorporate.

I still think that there is a whole new realm of electro-magnetic/ computer technology for suspension that we have yet to thoroughly investigate. Something as simple as cooling fans could be designed within the suspension components to control heat.

Imagine the customer being able to change the suspension settings on his own with just the press of a button or adjustment made via computer program. I definitely think we'll see something like this in the not so distant future. Only wish I was smart enough to bring it into production first.

... I definitely think we'll see something like this in the not so distant future. ...

anyone has it. F1, Superbike, Mountain Bike... is it forbidden in MX? or why don't we see any electronic here???

if I would have the budget and time, I would at least test such systems. why there's no team testing that -or do they?

I think that perhaps so much money has already been spent on R&D and the manufacturing processes of the current technology combined with the massive amounts of current inventory make venturing into another, more advanced design all a bit too early for any reasonable better financial reward.

Meaning, the current technology is so heavily leveraged financially that to invest in new R&D, let alone introduce something like this into the market would not be give enough profitable return to justify replacing the current design. It's obvious newer technology could be introduced fairly quickly. However, it has to prove itself to be of greater financial reward. As of now it's more profitable to squeeze every last drop out of the current suspension systems, until we are forced to do something else. Generally, money not ingenuity prevails in market prowess.

Couldn't this actually end up saving the teams money? I mean how much money do they pay a suspension tuner each year to get the suspension right for the team? If it can just be done with some buttons then that is one thing that is take out of the budget completely. But, i am sure that it would cost quite a bit to develop

I suppose you're right....it's just interesting how long it takes to scrap the older technology and make way for the new.

You'd still have to pay some one who understands how the suspension works, what to change and how to adjust/use the software and hardware. Biggest difference I see is you'd reduce labor costs associated tearing down and rebuilding current suspension systems for needed changes.

Analogy:

Has fuel injection made tuning cheaper or more expensive?

Answer:

More expensive...and much harder for the average guy to acquire the correct "tooling" to perform changes.

I don't think the trend would change with digital valving/damping control.

I love the idea though!

If you look at the broader spectrum here, mtb suspension has a long way to go before it matches the performance of moto suspension.

Even with all this electronic data acquisition, mtb suspension is still running gimmicky features and not enough oil in order to save weight and have features that the marketing side dreamed up. Not all are like this, but most are. When you spend $4000 on a bike that comes with a fork that is super flexy, has no small bump sensitivity, and blows through its travel on bigger impacts, then that's just wrong.

My point? There is a simpler answer to improving mtb suspension, and data acquisition may not be the first step in doing so. Look at moto suspension and ask why it works so much better.