Sign in to follow this  

New XTRIG pre-load adjustor

Okay...so we've been doing some testing on these over the last few weeks and all is going well...so we're going to start carrying them.

Price to TT members is $134.95. Regular retail is $149.95.

There are three models (more coming soon).

1. 06 to 09 YZs and 2010 125/250F/250

2. 09-10 KX450F

3. 09-10 CRF450R

Here are my good and bad thoughts on the product.

The good:

1. You can remove the existing metal and aluminum rings.

2. Unlike the Merge unit, the range is limitless. You can run this up and down the entire shock. Why? This is a worm drive, verses the hydraulic means of the Merge unit.

3. Changing the sag is as easy as changing clicker settings.

4. Unit is still tucked away so there's little worry about it getting damaged in a crash.

5. It's trick and well made.

6. Works with most spring bearings.

7. You'll pay more attention to fine tuning your shock sag and that may have some benefits such as more speed and control.

8. You can adjust the sag even when you're sitting on the bike, or when you're out on the trail.

9. German engineering. Very well made.

The bad:

1. It cost money.

2. It's one more thing that could break.

3. You can't move it over to your 2010 YZ450F.

4. It takes A LOT of turns to get it to move just a few millimeters. This could be a good thing for really fine tuning things, but sometimes you just want a power drill to get it over with, (it's a worm gear, with a very high ratio).

5. It will most likely not match your other bling.

6. For most of us, we set our sag once and then ride the bike to the coffin.

Here are some photos.

preloadadjuster.jpg

preloadadjuster_re.jpg

Real cool idea...honestly I don't think I change my sag enough to really fork out the money :thumbsup:

Nonetheless, very sweet.

I've got one on my 09 CRF 450 and basically have no gripes, except that you need a wrench with a joint since a straight wrench will not reach to the adjuster. The subframe is in the way. Since I have the stock spring and use preload in the common range (less than 10mm) it kind of makes the adjuster superfluous. As Dave pointed out you need lots of turns (I think 24!!!) on the adjuster for one turn on the spring preload. This makes adjusting without a T-handle or electric drill basically impossible. So if you use the stock spring or one of the same length save your money!

Michael

I would like one of these for an A-kit Showa shock. Could be same as standard "CRF" shock's unit, but I don't know. Anything in the works? no pun intended.

I've been using one of these for several months, and it's worked great so far. I like it because even though I don't reset the sag a lot, I do sometimes want to mess with it a little, and this makes it much simpler. I have it on my '06 YZ450, and while a wrench with a swivel joint does make it simpler, I is possible with an unmodified MP T-handle, too. By the look of the illustration, I think they've extended the drive screw, and it should be easier to reach without interference.

It's a 24:1 ratio, so it does take that many turns to spin the collar one turn, but how often do you change it more than two full turns in either direction? Even at that, it's much simpler, actually faster, and certainly less brutal, than breaking lock rings loose, etc.

I like it.

I think that most of us do not set our preload as close as we should, with this little chestnut there's no more excuses. How ever, $150 is on the high side.

Dave, do you have one of these that would fit a Showa shock? '05 CRF250X to be specific. :thumbsup:

We don't carry the SHOWA units, but XTRIG does have an 06 and up unit on their website.

I assume that means it won't fit the 05 unless they just decided not to validate it back that far.

We can always check, or perhaps one of the German dealers can help out.

The '05 Showa is the same as the '06-'09 as near as I can tell. Same shock body at least.

I spent a good chunk of my afternoon trying to find a U.S. source to buy one of these and was coming up dry, so I was excited to see that you were carrying them. Any chance you can GET a Showa version? :thumbsup: Thanks Dave.

Looking to get one of these for a 2010 YZ 450, any idea when it might be available?

Looking to get one of these for a 2010 YZ 450, any idea when it might be available?

Don't know yet, but I should know in the next day or two. :smirk:

Sorry for the delay.

Dave

Will have them this Wednesday.

$139

how do i buy x-trig products here in the U.S.?........i am interested in this, and also some of their clamps and bar mounts

how do i buy x-trig products here in the U.S.?........i am interested in this, and also some of their clamps and bar mounts

We have most of the XTRIG items in stock so just let me know what you need.

This exactly what I have been looking for! I won't get my hopes up yet, but what are the chances of them having/ making one to fit a WP shock on a KTM 690r/e/smc? I know it is an odd ball applictaion, especially with the horizontal reservoir, but I need something different in there as the stock aluminum ring deformed the first time I put a spanner on it and I do not want to have to deal with that headache ever again!

690erearshock.png

Does the universal fit version fit a 2006 YZ250 (2-stroke)?

Thanks!

....nevermind....found the answer and ordered one cheaper elsewhere.

Edited by andrzej