Sign in to follow this  

Honda how to tell if rod if bad???

on a 06 trx450 i posted some problems before about the motor being really loud. well i took it to a performance shop and they are saying its piston slap or a rod bearing. i have the head and cylinder off. now how do i check both of the problems they are thinking? the rod doesnt really have any play up and down. a little side to side. the piston had some play in the cylinder. im lost on what else to look for. im looking for some help cause i cut my finger to the bone working on this thing and just want to finish it.

Honda 450r's are known for having rod bearing issues. I have an 04 450r and love it but I have to replace the crank in it after rebuilding it a year ago. It appears Honda had a problem with the rockwell hardness of the rod bearing material.

I would replace the crank or rod bearing kit from CrankWorks in AZ along with the left and right crank bearings. Make sure you clean out the oil cooler very well before starting it. I didn't do that on mine thats why I have to replace the crank again.

The crank bearing problems were a limited run of early models, so I don't think that is an issue with your 06. In fact, the 06 is a very different engine from the 04/05's. Still, your crank could be worn out....

Get a manual.. Check the clearance on the crank.. You should be fine. The noise might be piston slap. But most likely the cam. The topend on the newer models are noisy. Put a new piston and rings in check you cam shimming gaps and ride it like you stole it. Usually when a crank goes out the oil filter is loaded w/ shavings..

There is no oil cooler on a 06 and newer trx450r