Sign in to follow this  

Arrgh, bearing service worse than I thought.

I swear, from this day forward I will service the bearings in the suspension of this bike if for no other reason than to avoid the next owner having to do what I am in the middle of.

I have owned this bike around 6 months and can tell all the bearings are garbage.

I took the whole thing apart and the dust seals are basically all trash as are all the bearings behind them. The I couldn't get the linkage bearings pressed out today but I didn't have a long enough bolt or threaded rod to do it with the socket method. I got the swingarm bearings out just fine with a socket and a deadblow.

I am working on a 99 CR250 by the way.

I couldn't figure out how to disassemble the shock, specifically removal of the spring because I mistakenly bought a manual for a 98 which I thought was the same but the picture doesn't look like the part I was holding. I am anxious to open up my shock to see if the race tech sticker on the reservoir is for real or if it is just a sticker.

you gotta unscrew the clevis from the rod then u can get the spring out, unless you know what your doing i'd suggest sending it off to shop...

Warm the linkage around the bearings, it makes removal sooo much easier. Mapp torch, shoot for 200-250 degrees.

Thanks, I thought the clevis would have to come off but it is pretty well frozen right now. I'm okay with servicing it myself I was just not sure on this shock since it's the first time I've played with this one.

I ordered all the bearing kits today, I wonder what this bike is gonna feel like when it actually has suspension.

grease must be hard to come by in japan ! all new mx bikes have next to nothing for grease and i learned the hard way too! i ve bought a new cr a few times and now just tear it down when i get it home !! the one biggest mistakes people make is with the pressure washer don't blast the linkage just rinse it !! :thumbsup:

Jap MX bikes use moly paste. It is a great extreme pressure lube but lacks the washout resistance of grease.

All new bearings should be here today and I got some nice threaded rod to make a bearing puller. Now I just need some time to get it done, in the middle of our kitchen renovation.

A vice and sockets works most excellently for knocking the bearings out of a linkage.

A vice and sockets works most excellently for knocking the bearings out of a linkage.

i had to use a die-grinder to cut the bearing cages out of my '08. keep them bitches greased up. i know i will from now on.

"you gotta unscrew the clevis from the rod then u can get the spring out" This ant right. Back off the top 2 rings all the way. Then on the other end there is a retaining spring wire that holds the bottom of the spring retainer ring/cup. The shock will be the same on 1998 and 99.

"you gotta unscrew the clevis from the rod then u can get the spring out" This ant right. Back off the top 2 rings all the way. Then on the other end there is a retaining spring wire that holds the bottom of the spring retainer ring/cup. The shock will be the same on 1998 and 99.

'01 model shock is infact this way, unscrewin the clevis. and i hate it! I was hoping for the ring like above stated...

Well, I'm wrestling with my linkage bearings. Last year I took it apart and packed it and it was good for a couple of hours it seemed. This year I cleaned the shock arm totally, and found a holed drilled in it for a grease zert, no zert, threads, or plug, just a hole. The shock link has a zert, but I don't know what was up with the arm.

Finished it last night. One of the linkage bearings was super seized up and was a real pain in the ass to push through, I heated it with a propane torch and could hear it trying to break loose because I had the home made puller tight on it. I ended up heating it for a really long time and finally it broke loose right before it felt like I was about to strip the threaded rod (very dramatic) but I got them all done.

I was a little concerned that the widest of the three bearings was a really tight fit on the sleeve that goes through it and it didn't spin freely when I put it in. When I pulled the sleeve back out I was able to spin the bearings by hand. The sleeve still doesn't want to spin in the bearing by hand but when I put everything back together I don't find anything binding. Swing arm goes up and down now with no reall binding or friction felt. I haven't put the wheel back in yet so I don't know for sure if the whole problem is solved.

I decided to hold off on the shock rebuild as I suspect it may have been done recently becuase the bearing at the top of the shock was brand new and it was the only one that looks like it has ever been done. We'll see when I finish reassembly.