Sign in to follow this  

gearing

I have a 2008 with 13-51 gearing. My son is complaining about running out of gear. He races MX. I just ordered a 14 tooth. Has anyone tried 14-51? Or should I go with 13-48or49?

with 14/51 your going to get around the same results as 13/48-49.. it will increase your top end a little bit with some loss on the bottom, nothing dramatic but it will help a bit

thats actually incorrect, a 14/51 is pretty much equal in ratio to 13/47, see the differance here is the 14t is gunna make a huge differance to what u already got with the 13/51, id personally go a 13/49 and see how that goes.

I put the 14 on last night. I will hopefully try this weekend and will post results. I think it will do what I want it to do.

I have been running 13/49 on my 2004 since new. I have no complaints with it. It still pulls well and the gears stretch a little further. I originally went with this gearing because I was riding an indoor track and the gear spacing meant I had to do a lot of shifting between 2nd and 3rd.

a verry approximate, 13/47 final drive ratio is 3.62 14/51 is 3.64 , 13/48 final drive is 3.69, so the 47 is definatly closer

My son only weighs 125lbs. In the past I have always had to either put a bigger front or smaller rear sprocket on. The track he's going to be running on is a long fast track.

a verry approximate, 13/47 final drive ratio is 3.62 14/51 is 3.64 , 13/48 final drive is 3.69, so the 47 is definatly closer

ok fine ill give you it.. i mean we all can feel 3.69 over 3.64.. lol