Sign in to follow this  

Lacing stock hubs to excel rims??

Can you lace a set of excel rims to the stock hubs without any modifications?

If so, should I replace the stock spokes?

If i remember right, you just need different nipples for the Excels, but I could be wrong, the stock hubs are fine though.

I laced excels on my '09 with the stock spokes and nipples, works great. I wouldn't replace the spokes and nipples unless they are damaged.

There should be two different rim applications one for stock sized spokes and nipples, and another for aftermarket spokes and nipples! Aftermarket are a little thicker! Get new spokes and nipples! Spokes and nipples stretch out, it will be easier to start with new ones less likely to strip the nipples! There are plenty of good articles on Thumper Talk to help you true them up! I just did a set for my bike. Have fun!

I laced my stock hubs to new Excel Rims but went ahead and purchased the Buchanan SS Spokes. Not only are they stronger but the Stainless Steel won't ever discolor or pit if you ever ride near salt water. I often ride down in Mexico along the beach and the salt water just trashed my stock spokes.

Thanks for the info guys, I was going to get a fully built set of A60s with talon hubs and the whole 9yds but now that I know I can lace them to my stock hubs Im gonna save a bunch of cash and just go that route.

Get new spokes and nipples! Spokes and nipples stretch out, it will be easier to start with new ones less likely to strip the nipples!

Interesting viewpoint. I guess my '93 KLX 650 spokes must be way stretched out. I like new stuff too, but I still wouldn't change the spokes and nipples unless they are damaged.