Sign in to follow this  

Do you race motocross with a KTM 250 SX?

I've returned to riding motorcycles a couple of years ago; starting back with dual sport riding. :thumbsup: I've been riding with a friend and to help her get her skills up. We've been riding at a local motocross track and it really got me started thinking about getting back into racing motocross.

I'm trying to decide between a 450 4T and a 250 2T. I'm concerned about the amount of maintenance of the four strokes and my mechanical skills. So I've been leaning toward the 250 two strokes and in particular the KTM 250 SX.

Are you racing motocross with a KTM 250 SX? What class are you racing? How does the 250 SX fair against the 450 4T?

Thanks.

I practice w/ multiple intermediates on a highly modified 250SX (ported 300 cylinder, etc) and it is very competitive. As a 250 however it was pretty soft power wise compared to a 450.

Also, at the local MX races last weekend a friend took 3 out of 4 holeshots w/ his 300 against a line full of 450s.

Are you really goind to race MX and is that all you are going to do, or are you going to ride for fun, or at least ride for fun too?

I used to race motocross, but I am not really competitive with my friends on a MX track these days except for short bursts so I may not be the best to say. My son is though. I am scared of getting hurt and avoid the big jumps that require a commitment to clear things and not clearing things will be real bad. We ride with some friends that have 250 and 450 four strokes and switch bikes with them occasionally. The stock 250SX (at least my 2003) and my sons modified (head and flow ported) RM250 has around the same power as a 450 in the the open like a field or fire road. It is much harder to ride competitively then the 450 though on a motor cross track with all the shifting, clutch feathering, loss of traction when getting into the power band, etc. Like

The biggest thing I see is some tracks are designed for four strokes or make it hard to compete on a two stroke because of the short runs out of turns into jumps where you have to clear things (doubles, triples, table tops, etc). It is much easier with all the low and torque and shear power of a 450 to launch on some of that stuff even after making mistakes where you might loose some speed you need to hit the next jump. You can launch and go on a 450 from very short runs. The handling of any Jap MX bike is better on the track then my 250 two stroke, but that could probably be worked out with re-valving, etc.

In the tight woods I would much rather be on my 250. I am more competitive with my friends and son in the woods. The power of the 450 is awesome. It has more of everything everywhere and the power is more manageable (perhaps), with all its low end torque, but not the whole bike given the extra weight of the four stroke. The light weight of the two stroke is hard to beat in the woods. Then add stalling and hot starting the four stroke and the two stroke shines. I have switched with 450's in the tight technical woods in the hot southern summer and when I get back on my 250 SX it is like a breath of cool fresh air. Especially if I stalled it and spent some time kicking the 450. Literally at 54 when I get back on the two stroke is when I can first get my wind back.

Combine the fact that the the 250 is OK on the motocross track, better in the woods (IMO), and much less or easier/cheaper maintenance and my bike was cheaper (used), I would take the two stroke for all around fun riding any day.

Gary

I have a 250sx that I have set up to ride woods. I still ride the track about once a month. I am not racing, but keep up with all the fast guys on practice days...

Haven't raced yet, but I hope to participate in a few amateur events this summer. My previous bike was an Enduro so it was on the heavy side, but I've had the chance to ride a CRF 450. To me the 250 SX feels like riding a bicycle, it so light and nimble I have much more confidence and control in jumps with it than with a thumper. The only times I wished for more power was when riding a deep muddy or loamy track, coming out of turns it can be hard to power over a big jump. However I think it has more to do with my technique, if I kept more momentum in the turn I would clear these jumps easily.

Ah, another thing I haven't figured out yet is how to go fast through whoops! I have to admit I was faster in them with a thumper : you basically only have to shift up one gear, crack the throttle and commit... With a two stroke, that just feels wrong and I often loose control or loose too much energy battling the whoops. Again it's just something I gotta learn and improve. After all I only have half a season's experience on my new bike.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've been trying to read every thread about the differences between two strokes and four strokes and I appreciate your input. I believe it was in a DirtBike article where I saw something about the 300 barrel as a performance part for the 250 SX and I wondered if they could be raced with the 450s.

Gary, your right. By the way, we're contemporaries. I earned enough points to advance to the 125 A class in the mid seventies but with changes in life, I didn't continue to race or ride motorcycles much after that. I'm more likely to ride at the local tracks for fun. I'm planning on catching some local motocross races a few times this summer and want to see what the racers are doing in my age class.

My dual sport bike is a DRZ400S and although it handles a lot like my brothers 91 RM250, it's so heavy that it's a struggle for me to pick up after a crash. The weight of the KTM 2500 SX is really close the 125s that I used to race and it sounds like the machine I should be thinking about.

Thanks again everyone! :thumbsup:

= ) :ride:

I have always liked the 250 in two strokes. For me it has always been the best comprimise in power, speed, low end torque, weight, etc. at least for a two stroke.

With the advent of light, fast powerful four strokes the 250F should be considered for a fun bike as well. It is obviously more in line with the 125 two stroke and has the same advantages in MX racing in that class to the 125 two stroke as discussed with the 250/450. Still it has the maintenance/cost issues of a four stroke. I don't think this is really a problem if you buy a new bike every two years or so but that isn't an option for me. Ill stay with the two strokes for now. If I was racing MX I would almost surely have a 450.

Newest issue of MXA they have a 250 SX with the 300 SXS kit installed.

Made 51hp (1.5hp peak gain but 2-4hp gains throughout the RPMs) on their dyno and said it can pull 450's out of corners with ease.

I do have the 300 and have absolutley no issues racing MX. Alot depends on what you are looking for out of riding. I will admit that the 4 stroke is a little easier to jump at first due to the smoother effect, but the 250 sx and 300 do have a very tourquey power delivery. I really believe that the bike that you have the most fun and excitement on will be the fastest for you. I switched back after watching my 4 stroke filled vet class race and could not believe how boreing it looked as everyone jumps, but really never mixed it up. Putt, putt jump. With that said, they are going fast, but the 2 stroke delivers much more excitement. There is absolutley no power disadvantage.

If I were racing regularily a 450 would be the ticket for me.

BUT! As far as fun and becoming a more technical rider, faster, I choose my KTooM 250. Super agile and can be so snappy it wants to jump out of corners for you. Requires more attention to gear selection and clutch feathering out of corners. I find my 250 gives me arm pump faster, but I feel way faster around the track. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Gary, your note really helped me put things in perspective. :thumbsup: Now in my fifties, I'm more interested in having fun. I decided to get back into riding by starting back with a dual sport because I wanted to ride some of my favorite back road rides before I couldn't do it any more but discovered that I love getting out and riding on the motocross track too. I really enjoyed riding my brothers 91 RM250 and didn't find it intimidating at all. It was so smooth and powerful compared to the 125 motocrossers that I raced in the seventies. They were like a light switch in power delivery in comparison. I'd like to stay with the 250 2 stroke as I think it will be a great fit for me.

Thanks for the notes on the 300 updates guys. :ride: If I do get back to serious competition, I'll keep that in mind as I think it would be fun to torture the guys on 450 4 strokes. :lol: I went by our local KTM dealership yesterday to see if they had any 250 SX's but they didn't. I'm not ready to buy yet anyway but I'll keep an eye out until I'm ready to buy.

A close friend whom I used to ride mountain bikes with put forth a challenge to me. If she raced a cross country mountain bike race, would I do a hare and hound race with my DRZ. As you can guess, I couldn't let that pass so I'm now starting to work out and get back in shape. My other friend who bought a DRZ with me are planning to start riding and getting me ready to do a hare and hound race here in Colorado this fall. Just getting back out and riding has been so much fun but I have to admit, to be able to get back out and do race is really exciting. If nothing else, just getting ready to do a race has been really great for my health. My family and coworkers sure think I'm being really crazy but that's been fun too. :lol:

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your thoughts and input. I'll swing by the store and se if I can find a copy of MXA.

:lol:

Glad that helps.

I grew up riding in the woods, power lines, pipe lines, and sand & gravel quarries. Used to make tracks everywhere we could. I went from mini's through the 250 to bigger bikes and then back to the 250's and kind of settled in on the 250's back in the 70's and then gave it up for half a life time and now I am back and having a lot of fun. I did maintain a little activity in between with a dual sport Honda XL500. I rode with my young brother in law who worked with me. Another guy I work with who is my age has been into it all along and never stopped. He is most interested in MX and has a Honda 450. They kind of go my interest peaked again, but my oldest son getting interested in dirt bikes really got me enthused again.

When I got on the 450 for the first time I thought I would have to have one. It is awesome, but I was concerned with the cost of owning one and I still love the type of power from the 250 2st MX bikes while still having enough low end. Of course all that has something to do with how and where you ride and how much you weigh.

I sometimes think I would like to be on a hopped up 300 (300SX) with some head work and ignition or a 250 SX converted to a 300 SX. I don't think I would be happy with a stock 300. That is the nice thing about the newer 250's that they can be so easily converted. I think it would be even more of an issue in Colorado with the altitude changes you might get into. Again it depends a lot on your weight.

This 250 is so much of an improvement over anything I ever owned, but I find myself wanting more. More handling, re-valve, steering damper newer bike, etc.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Gary

If you go to MXA website they have a test of the 2010 250SX. Great write up. They have a lot of good things to say about it and say it can definately hold it's own against 450's.

I watched a guy on a 250 SX destroy a group of 450 riders in an open class moto at a race yesterday at Iron City in Blacksburg, SC.

Dude, get a 300 XC...

They're badass, easy to ride and will keep a 450 reeled in no worries...

If you happen to find one with an electric leg you'll probably like it even more!