Sign in to follow this  

Valves are tight!

07 Drz sm 12,000 miles on stock head and valve train. He did have hotcams stage 1 installed at 7,000 miles.

Just installed a big bore kit in a buddy of mines bike. I put it back together last night, and went to check the valves and noticed both exhaust and 1 intake valve were very tight. Bike was TDC on the compression stroke.

right ex valve was at .13mm

left ex valve was at .17mm

left intake was so tight i didn't have a feeler guage thin enough

right intake was at .12mm

I'm thinking it's time for some valve work, but just wanted to make sure I can't shim the valves enough. Any more checks I can do just to make sure before I go and pull the head, and mess up his brand new head gasket? Thanks!

I'm not the most experienced guy so take it with a grain of salt but I just rebuilt my motor and everything was tight. I turned the motor over a few times re checked them and they were back in spec. I think the buckets just needed to settle back down into place

Motor cool to cold, . Pull the cams and make sure the shim is seated in the retainer fully...install the cams, Spin the motor over a few times and set to TDC compression stroke (cam lobes at 10 & 2)

Try measuring again..... if they are still tight then ya it's time for some head work,, AND check the intake tract from the air cleaner to the head and make sure you have no vac or other air leaks letting in unfiltered air.

Yes use a new head gasket...

You can re shim,,, but if they are moving,,,and that tight.. they will move again very shortly.

Thanks guys, I will recheck them again tonight. I did spin the motor over and make sure the buckets were seated and shims were installed correctly. One thing I forgot to mention was that one of his top two rings on the stock piston was worn very funny. It almost looked as if the ring at been spining on the piston. The ring had a very funny groove worn into the ring all the way around, that actually made the ring very thin and sharp on the edge. Any ideas?

it was ingesting dirt.

Thanks for the info Eddie, I had a feeling it was somthing like that but I wasn't sure. Bronco, you were spot on with the "check the air intake". Thanks Gentlemen!

Thanks for the info Eddie, I had a feeling it was somthing like that but I wasn't sure. Bronco, you were spot on with the "check the air intake". Thanks Gentlemen!

:thumbsup: Your welcome, it's simple really.. You make enough mistakes over the years and you can sound smart :ride:

If the cams are to tight I know what will happen. Eddie has my head right now fixxing it. I would fix it now rather than later. One I forgot to mention in my thread is the tube the goes from the black box to the top of the air boot between the carp and air box was off on mine. It didnt have a clamp and I think it worked itself off and thus creating my problems. I still the DRZ though.

Bonestock, you were taking in dirt? That's what caused the cam semi-seizure?

I stand corrected, see eddies reply below.. he has the head in his shop....

Edited by E.Marquez

bonestocks intake valves were tight for so long it galled the cam journals from the valves pushing the cam up into the cam cap.

im mystified that it even ran.

I dont know for a fact it was taking in dirt. When I pulled the carb that hose was off. Maybe it fell off one of the 900 times I had the bike apart before I sent the head to eddie