Sign in to follow this  

Smoked the battery on 1990 DR350S?

The battery did get a little wet riding through mud, but it was HOT and smoking. I am trying to figure out what happened. Before I put another battery in the bike I want to make sure it was not caused by something else. Here is some info on the status of the bike since it has been "modified". All turn signals are removed as well as mirrors and the left hand controls. THere is no key for this bike at all. There is a toggle switch that turns all electronics on (head and tailight and horn). There is a toggle switch for high and low beam. A button for horn mounted to handlebars as well as a kill switch. I was riding most of the day with the toggle switch off. It does not have to be "on" to kickstart or run the bike. Do I need to keep this switch on to keep the battery from being "overcharged"? I don't know much about batteries or electronics. Hopefully it is just a bad battery. I have never seen a battery get hot and start smoking. I was also thinking of eliminating the battery completely with capacitor or whatever is used to do so. Any thoughts guys? Thanks

Check your voltage at battery.

...while the engine is running. At anything over 2500 rpm it should be about 13.5 volts. Over 14.5 is too much (bad voltage regulator) under 12.5 is too little (bad VR or stator). I suspect your voltage will be high and you are cooking the battery.

I am hoping it was just "dry as a bone". The ad for the bike on Craigslist stated that it needed a new battery, but when he sold me the bike he said it was fine and that he had bought one from a friend. Luckily I was reading threads on battery eliminators and found out that you should not run the bike much without the battery in place because it will cook the stator, etc. And I was going to ride it this weekend without the battery! Thanks TT crowd.

or its dry as a bone.

Thats what I was thinkin when I read this post. Dont trust what people say in thier adds on Craigslist as it is a buyer beware. You could go to the auto parts store and buy a can of "Battery Smoke" and put it back in. :thumbsup: Good Luck