Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F - No Kick start?

Hi There,

I currently ride a CRF150F and am considering moving to a CRF230F. The addition of an electric start is great, but there is no kickstart! It seems to me that if you have battery problems it is sure nice to have a kick starter to rely on.

Has this ever been an issue for anyone with a 230F? Is the starter/battery reliable? I'm considering a used 2004 model.

thanks,

Barry

I have a 2005 CRF230F and just replaced the battery last year.....before that it was never a problem.....even when it started to get crappy it would still stat the bike......when you're seat deep in mud the e-start is a very nice thing to have......and if you really are SOL and your battery is completely dead you can always bump start it.....

I have had a 230 since 03 and just replaced the original battery this year and never put a tender on it once. I go riding once a month for 4 days of camping and riding. Never had it die and even if it did you can bump start it going less than 5mph.

i've never had a problem with mine...

fwiw, i left my bike in the cold for most of the winter and it started right up with no problem when i finally got around to starting my pre season maintenance...

...They only started putting elec. starts in 06 and up.

230s have has electric start since the first year of production. The 150s came out with elec. start in 06.

230s have has electric start since the first year of production. The 150s came out with elec. start in 06.

Exactly. Bump starting a 230 in an emergency is easy unless you are at the bottom of a hill.

Exactly. Bump starting a 230 in an emergency is easy unless you are at the bottom of a hill.

even then though. if you have 10 feet of flat land, you can bump start a 230.

For me the key to an electric start bike is how well tuned and maintained the bike is. If you have it jetted properly, clean air filter, and all the rest, these great little engines will hit on the first or second revolution when warm. And it only takes a few more turns when they are dead cold. I say uncork it, re-jet it, and you will almost never have a starting issue. And if you do ... so easy to bump it. I can honestly say now that I don't want the added weight of a kick lever. (Hey, cars don't come with hand cranks anymore either!)

...They only started putting elec. starts in 06 and up.

then how do I have an 05 with electric start?? :thumbsup:

edit: nevermind I see it has already been answered....

Well I did'nt know that the 230's always came with elec. and Slash5swb...electric start weighs WAY more than kick.

I think he meant no reason to add the extra weight to the electric start... not one or the other based on their weight.

JMO...

Can you even put a k/s in the 150's 06 and up?

nope, never, no way