oil coming from timing access hole

i have a 85 xl600 dual start euro model.i have just noticed an oil stain coming from the timing access hole.how is this possible.as far as i know there should be a small amount of oil behind the case but surely not this much.anybody any ideas as i do not understand.any help would be great.tractor.

Sounds like a bad seal behind the flywheel. Somtimes you can pull the flywheel and replace the seal without taking anything else apart. Get a good flywheel puller from a bike shop - its about $25. It makes the job much easier.

under no circumstance remove the flywheel without the puller..its your bike though...bad cam shaft seal..i have never been able to replace one though without tearing stuff apart...$5 part and $100 labor bill

i do not want to sound rude but theres been two other replies explaining about crank seals.however it would be great if it was just an access hole seal.are you positive about this.i am very grateful for the reply but could you explain a bit more.cheers tractor.

under no circumstance remove the flywheel without the puller..its your bike though...bad cam shaft seal..i have never been able to replace one though without tearing stuff apart...$5 part and $100 labor bill

bad cam shaft seal??? the cam is at the top off the motor no where near the problem.thanks fop reply.