Sign in to follow this  

Where to Start???

I just purchased a 2002 crf450r for $200. I knew it didnt run when I bought it but it appears to be well maintained. It turns over but wont start and seems like the compression is way low. i was going to try roll starting it but the clutch wont disengage. im new to 4 strokes and dont really know where to start. any suggestions of things to try would be helpful.

Find out if it is getting spark. pull the plug, use large wrench to hold it against the frame to ground it, and have some one kick the kickstart. see if you are getting spark. This will tell you if it is electrical problem, or something else.

I just purchased a 2002 crf450r for $200. I knew it didnt run when I bought it but it appears to be well maintained. It turns over but wont start and seems like the compression is way low. i was going to try roll starting it but the clutch wont disengage. im new to 4 strokes and dont really know where to start. any suggestions of things to try would be helpful.

200$??? = stolen

200$??? = stolen

kind of what I was thinking but you never know. Did the op get any type of paper work with this bike? I would double check the vin# before I started dumping alot of time & money into this bike if it were me.

ya make sure it isnt stolen before you put money into it. my guess would be that the timing chain stretched and you have a bent valve or 2.

the bike isnt stolen, i check on that before i bought it. I thought it was too good of a deal to be true. Ive checked and the timing chain is very loose and the plastic guides along either side of it are broken. Ive read that the chain tensioner will back off over time, is that the cause of the loose chain or did it stretch? Are the valves most likley bent or is there a chance theyre okay? when you turn the motor over it feels okay. should i buy a new chain and tensioner? Does anyone know what the plastic guides are called or better yet the part number? thanks...

the bike isnt stolen, i check on that before i bought it. ...

I think I'll call BS on this one.