Sign in to follow this  

96 KX250 oil mix??

96 KX 250..

Its completely stock and i have no funds..(no jetting)

Should i go 32:1 or is 44:1 safe?

i've been going between 40 and 50:1 but havent had a problem.

i'm on my original piston btw!

ideas on what ratio i should use?

thanks a ton.

right now im using petro can crap,

but any oil suggestions that are cheap and good would be great..

(no fully synthetic!! haha)

My 97 calls for 32:1 in the manual so that is what I use.

I use amsoil premix, but you can just go with a standard 2 stroke premix and should be fine.

When I trail rode I went a bit leaner like 40:1. You don't want carbon to build up and stick a ring. If you are trail riding, there is plenty of residual oil inside to give it the occassional romp.

Whatever you do, put a new piston in that bike!

+1!

You didn't hear this from me, but Walmart sells Pennzoil 2stroke oil by the gallon and cheap! I would also try Quiksilver if you have a marina near ya. That stuff is designed for offshore outboards!

Mix it at 32:1 and ride!

Whatever you do, put a new piston in that bike!

+2,000,000

Dude, that factory piston is a ticking time bomb. Unless you want to replace the crank and possibly the cases you should replace that....at least!

...OMG a friggin 14 year old slug in that thing. lmfao

I'm the thrid owner, and the first 2 were both in their sixties.. they rode like twice year.

Anyways.

i ride trail always, never track, so thats why i was wondering about different mixes (closer to 40:1)

As for my bike i plan on replacing lots of stuff on it. i need some bark busters, piston, top end(end of season) decals, plastics, exhaust, rims, and a good jetting job.

It's all gunna happen eventually, but when you're 16 with no job. its a little slow.:thumbsup:

+2,000,000

Dude, that factory piston is a ticking time bomb. Unless you want to replace the crank and possibly the cases you should replace that....at least!

...OMG a friggin 14 year old slug in that thing. lmfao

Very good advice.

Here's what happens when pistons grenade:

DSC_0022-2.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

yep best advice i can give is put a new top end in and dont run crap oil with your mix....good quality 2 stroke oil is important to your bikes health!

I'm the thrid owner, and the first 2 were both in their sixties.. they rode like twice year.

Anyways.

i ride trail always, never track, so thats why i was wondering about different mixes (closer to 40:1)

As for my bike i plan on replacing lots of stuff on it. i need some bark busters, piston, top end(end of season) decals, plastics, exhaust, rims, and a good jetting job.

It's all gunna happen eventually, but when you're 16 with no job. its a little slow.:thumbsup:

put the piston 1st on your list ....this is the begining of the riding season dude

+1!

You didn't hear this from me, but Walmart sells Pennzoil 2stroke oil by the gallon and cheap! I would also try Quiksilver if you have a marina near ya. That stuff is designed for offshore outboards!

Mix it at 32:1 and ride!

not good advice from a net.xpert..

read "designed for outboards"....direct injection??

not good advice from a net.xpert..

read "designed for outboards"....direct injection??

They actually sell some premixable stuff that is supposed to be really good. They gave me a bottle of it for my outboard years ago (8+) The really big off shore $20k plus models I think are direct inj if not already 4Ts. I haven't been boating in years either so..... Im pretty sure they still make the quicksilver premix for the racing apps as well.

A 5000 rpm two-stroke ourboard is vastly different than a 9000 rpm 250 two-stroke motocross bike. Even if it's TCW 3 certified, that doesn't mean that it's neccessarily suited to the needs of our high-revving machines. TCW 3 was originally developed as a testing parameter for outboard engines, which of course don't rev nearly as high as our engines. Although any TCW 3 oil is going to be a high quality oil by virtue of having passed that certification, that doesn't automatically mean that it has an appropriate additive package for high-rpm racing applications.

A 5000 rpm two-stroke ourboard is vastly different than a 9000 rpm 250 two-stroke motocross bike. Even if it's TCW 3 certified, that doesn't mean that it's neccessarily suited to the needs of our high-revving machines. TCW 3 was originally developed as a testing parameter for outboard engines, which of course don't rev nearly as high as our engines. Although any TCW 3 oil is going to be a high quality oil by virtue of having passed that certification, that doesn't automatically mean that it has an appropriate additive package for high-rpm racing applications.

Harper performance is running his and customer's bikes on SuperTech TCW-3 at 20:1 with appropriate jetting. He swears by it. If you aren't revving the motor constantly (MX racing) the oil should work fine. I guess that's why he uses so much of it for extra protection since he does cater to MX racers.

I've used all sorts of oils and never had any engine troubles so long as the load, jetting, temp and elevation, and motor are tuned/maintained you shouldn't have any trouble either.

Does a thread exist where someone can prove that TCW-3 either fried their piston or crank from racing MX with it?

Harper performance is running his and customer's bikes on SuperTech TCW-3 at 20:1 with appropriate jetting. He swears by it. If you aren't revving the motor constantly (MX racing) the oil should work fine. I guess that's why he uses so much of it for extra protection since he does cater to MX racers.

I've used all sorts of oils and never had any engine troubles so long as the load, jetting, temp and elevation, and motor are tuned/maintained you shouldn't have any trouble either.

Does a thread exist where someone can prove that TCW-3 either fried their piston or crank from racing MX with it?

I forgot he uses Supertech with TCW-3 in his MX bikes. Lots of outboard racing boats use it too! like my buddies 90hp 80mph jet boat!