Sign in to follow this  

help me decide on oil

im finally switching to 15W50 in my two bikes, 02 DRZ400E and a 07 RMZ450. im going to buy red line full synthetic 15w50 for 39.95 a gallon or maxima 4 extra 15w50 for 49.95 a gallon. what do you suggest? my brother uses maxima semi syn in his rmz250 but after reading redline's site im going towards that, plus its a little cheaper becaue i change oil every two rides so ill save a little money. any thoughts?

I use Motul 300V in my WR450F (and 250F), and Yamalube (or whatever general dino bike oil is available) for the TTR-125's. I'd go with a full synthetic on both of your bikes. Not sure you need to change oil every 2 rides, especially on the DRZ, unless you're putting in lots of dirt miles/hours on each ride. I'm not that brand sensitive other than what has worked for me in the past. gl! :thumbsup:

Every two rides is a little excessive on a drz. I think that if you really wanted to take care of your bike, under normal use every 500 miles is more then enough. Most do it at 1000.

As for brand, I don't think it really makes a difference. One thing to look out for is getting one that has esters in it for the drz.

after doing a search and reading just some of them im more confused than every have tons of opinions on oils, weights and types im just plain lost. after searching rotella t full synthetic kee[s cominh up too! i dont know what the hell too do now

It's very simple. You can be influenced by the guys that have no real experience with the inside of an engine...no science degrees and who are influenced by advertisement fluff...or you can listen to the guys who have had hundreds...if not thousands of these engines apart and have lots of first hand experience.

In that case...you will find that silkolene is right on the top of that list.

There are 3 brands I keep an eye out for when I buy oil for the DRZ. All are ester based, all are 15/50.

Silkolene Pro-4

Motul 300V

Maxima Extra 4

You can't go wrong with any of the above oils.

after doing a search and reading just some of them im more confused than every have tons of opinions on oils, weights and types im just plain lost. after searching rotella t full synthetic kee[s cominh up too! i dont know what the hell too do now

IMG00048-20091211-1125.jpg:thumbsup:

The stupid part is...nobody ever argues that silkolene is not the best. They just want an alternative that they buy for a dollar or two less per quart. Isn't your bike worth that extra dollar or two?

im thiking rotella T6 full synt 15w40 after all the searching and its injust about every sub forum. ill take world tonight and see what they have

both local walli worlds only have 5w40 T6 in stock, i think thats a little light ill just keep using the honda 10w40 and change it every two rides