Sign in to follow this  

Getting Permission To Ride

Just wondering what you guys think is the best way to go about this. Looking at the land around my house on Google Earth, i noticed a place only a few miles away with what looks to be a full-blown MX track in the backwoods of the property. I thought about going to the house and just asking but im not sure...

Thats how I got hooked up with a local private track. You could see it and hear the bikes from the road I knew it was there so I just went and talked to the guy, he said yes its my track, can you ride? I said sure, he got off his bike handed me his helmet and said lets se what you got, I gave a test lap to see what the track was like and try to find a good line and on lap two I rode the piss out of it! I ride there all the time now and its a blast, he even let me re-build some sections that needed work. Offer to help keep the place up and be respectful of his property and the worst he can say is no! good luck.

Thats how I got hooked up with a local private track. You could see it and hear the bikes from the road I knew it was there so I just went and talked to the guy, he said yes its my track, can you ride? I said sure, he got off his bike handed me his helmet and said lets se what you got, I gave a test lap to see what the track was like and try to find a good line and on lap two I rode the piss out of it! I ride there all the time now and its a blast, he even let me re-build some sections that needed work. Offer to help keep the place up and be respectful of his property and the worst he can say is no! good luck.

Thats an awesome story...wish I could find a place like that where I live!:thumbsup:

Just go ask, the worst that could happen is he says no

I found offering to help clean up on the property in exchange for limited access is a great way to break the ice.

Maybe spend a few days a month cutting blown down trees for track access on weekends from 11AM till sundown?

Offer to fix fences,fill potholes, split wood, whatever they need.

Just keeping the blackberries back is a never ending battle on a large plot of land..

Great way to bring riding buddies in on it too, they can help with the work, get in some lap time and meet the land owners.

Make it crystal clear your intentions are JUST to practice riding your bike, nothing else.

No target shooting, no camping, no partying or creating new trails without thier permission. Quiet core muffler insert can't hurt either.

Good luck, hope it works out:thumbsup:

Thanks for the great responses :thumbsup: I thought once it warms up a bit this spring, i will ride my bicycle by the house and hopefully catch some people riding and ask then.

As an owner of my own trails and grass track, the only way I would consider letting someone else ride there is if they asked very politely first. My biggest concerns about letting people ride is #1) will they sue me if they get hurt #2) will they respect me, my rules and my neighbors #3) will they have enough sense to not change or tear up my trails without permission #4) will they bring people on to my property without permission.

Everybody is different, but you would have to convince me that I can trust you first and foremost. I might still ask you to sign a waver even though it may be just a feel good sort of thing.

Be prepared to be rejected. Be prepared to have the owner get irate at your audacity (think about it from their perspective, THEY spent how much money for the land and now YOU want to come tear it up or even just use it having never spent any money on it? their perspective.) Be prepared for them to suggest you go buy 2 or 3 acres and build your own track, etc.

Otherwise like they said.. just ask and see what happens. Offer to do some work for the privilege, tell them you'll repair any damage you do and maintain the trails, back fill ruts with a shovel etc.

"Hello! I'm sorry to bother you Sir/Ma'am, but I was looking at google earth for places to ride around this area. I live over.. blah blah blah, and I was wondering if you had any work I could do around here in exchange for permission to ride the trails around your property?"

You're not showing up on their doorstep behaving like someone who thinks "I breath air, therefore 'I DESERVE'." Instead you're showing up offering THEM something that may have monetary value -your labor and fruits of said labors- in return for something that may not cost them anything at all.. the ability to putt around their trails.

Offer to sign a release of liability should you get hurt, ensure that they know you WILL repair any ruts etc you make and keep their trails in as good of shape as possible. You'll likely spend more time maintaining their trails than you do riding, but that's the trade off for a local place to ride.

IF they agree, make damn sure you NEVER take anyone else out there. As soon as you do that, one person takes another who takes another, and before you know it you've got a very pissed off property owner. YOU want a place to ride, not a place for your buddies to ruin things for you.

FWIW I own a tiny piece of land in another state and ATV's are cutting trails on it. If/WHEN I catch them they WILL be prosecuted to the FULL extent that the laws allow. My point in mentioning this, if they say no be respectful thank them for their time, and again apologize for troubling them, and do NOT ride their land. They could know the joys of what a bunch of idiots with quads will do to their land.

...FWIW I own a tiny piece of land in another state and ATV's are cutting trails on it. If/WHEN I catch them they WILL be prosecuted to the FULL extent that the laws allow. My point in mentioning this, if they say no be respectful thank them for their time, and again apologize for troubling them, and do NOT ride their land. They could know the joys of what a bunch of idiots with quads will do to their land.

Funny you should say this...

On Sunday, four yahoos (one bike, 3 quads) come riding down the middle of my property. No biggie, there's a good size trail that horses use all the time. Then about halfway across, they cut a new trail next to the corral, jump over a lip next to it (thankfully no horses there at the time), race around the front of the corral, and the quad in back wheelies across the driveway throwing roost everywhere.

They didn't come back, but I had the chore of hauling concrete blocks to block the new path and jump by the corral they cut. Now I get to post No Tresspassing signs. I was hoping to avoid that because of the other neighbors that don't cause problems like those four ass-hats. Crap-freakin'-tastic... :thumbsup:

As an owner of my own trails and grass track, the only way I would consider letting someone else ride there is if they asked very politely first. My biggest concerns about letting people ride is #1) will they sue me if they get hurt #2) will they respect me, my rules and my neighbors #3) will they have enough sense to not change or tear up my trails without permission #4) will they bring people on to my property without permission.

Everybody is different, but you would have to convince me that I can trust you first and foremost. I might still ask you to sign a waver even though it may be just a feel good sort of thing.

I won't sue you! :thumbsup:

Just be honest and say "Hey I'm a creeper and I was stalking on your property on Google Earth. . . " :thumbsup:

what other ways are there to go about this?

why do you need to make a thread about it?

go to the house and ask, its common sense...

Just be honest and say "Hey I'm a creeper and I was stalking on your property on Google Earth. . . " :ride:

Ha Ha :thumbsup: Yes with Spring just around the corner i have become that creepy property stalker!

what other ways are there to go about this?

why do you need to make a thread about it?

go to the house and ask, its common sense...

Are you the thread police? :thumbsup:

I'm in the same situation you are there is a pretty big field that looks like it would be big enough to finnaly open my new bike up. Every time I drive past it seems to look better and better!! I guess I'll just ask him when the weather gets better but everyone else is right, the worst thing he can say is no!