Sign in to follow this  

Who's an oil changing pro:)!

So up untill I got the drz I was a clean oil changer with all my other bikes and cars. No spills no messy oily frames or headers. I all changed when the Z came in the picture. Everything was messy from the filter

change to the frame plug. Everytime I took out the frame plug......splat! Oil everywhere....header, hands, tools, frame.:thumbsup:. The crank plug isn't bad but changing the filter is a tad tricky if your not used to it... You can try and stuff towels beneath it or loosen the nuts a tad and slowly

drain:( and still get it all over you cases. Over the last few years I've tried so many different aproaches....wrapping the header with something, tipping the bike, well the last year or so I gave noticed I can do a drip free change in less then 30mins.:ride:. That includes no oil on the bike or the ground, even the hands and tools. I was so proud!!!!!

How has everone else evolved??? What knd of tricks do you use when changing oil have you adapted too??

Cheers Logan

Just got my drz about a month ago.

I found when draining the frame oil plug it's a good idea to put a small piece of plastic or paper at the point between the frame and plug. That way the oil just follows the paper down.....:thumbsup:

The filter...I have no idea.. I use a big oil catch pan from my Dad's 58 hog when changing the oil. Then I move the oil container from the engine to the frame drain.... Not very helpful...but that piece of paper or plastic is.

Just got my drz about a month ago.

I found when draining the frame oil plug it's a good idea to put a small piece of plastic or paper at the point between the frame and plug. That way the oil just follows the paper down.....:thumbsup:

The filter...I have no idea.. I use a big oil catch pan from my Dad's 58 hog when changing the oil. Then I move the oil container from the engine to the frame drain.... Not very helpful...but that piece of paper or plastic is.

I forgot to mention that I do this trick as well and it works very good.

I dont get the plstic between the bolt and frame. I just put a funnel with a screen and let the bolt hit the screen. Header holds it in place. For the filter I just stuff a rag under the bottom of the cover then unbolt it. engine plug is easy.