Sign in to follow this  

Just bought some DIRT wheels for my DRZ400SM

I just bought some dirt wheels for my DRZ400SM... I should have them in a week or so.

It looks like I'm going to be using my SM rotor in the front - how is that on the dirt? I have a friend who mentioned that it'd be way too grabby for the dirt. I guess I have to be very conscious about how hard I lay on the front brake?

I'm more worried on the street, that I'm gonna forget I'm on dirt tires and I whip on the front brake in an emergency... Am I just being paranoid?

Also - what's a good tire setup for 80% dirt / 20% street?

Thanks guys!

I just bought some dirt wheels for my DRZ400SM... I should have them in a week or so.

It looks like I'm going to be using my SM rotor in the front - how is that on the dirt? I have a friend who mentioned that it'd be way too grabby for the dirt. I guess I have to be very conscious about how hard I lay on the front brake?

I'm more worried on the street, that I'm gonna forget I'm on dirt tires and I whip on the front brake in an emergency... Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks guys!

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

I run a 320mm rotor in the dirt and it is a lot of rotor off road but it didn't take long to get used to it.

I just bought a Kenda K-760 Trak Master for the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion XCMH for the front of my bike. Did a lot of research and they are well liked for serious off road use in the desert southwest.

When I had my DR I used the Dunlop 606 on the rear and front. It was a good rear tire for most situations, but would not hook up well in the wet slimy clay or soft sand. It wore very well considering some of the road use it endured. I also used the kenda trak master on the rear and it was a much more aggressive tire. Better for the off road not as good on road of course.

where can i get a good price and new set of rims i wanted to get a dirt set i WAS just looking

I bought mine used - new they cost quite a bit...

The best deal going for new is Wheeling Cycle Supply:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=96&offset=30

Actually - I was told by someone at work that the D606 isn't that great for the front - that the Pirelli MT21 is the way to go for the front. Is the MT21 that much better than the D606 for the front?

Im ridigng my SM on enduro tracks and long bush rides with the 17" rims and rotors without any issues. a fark load of stopping power up front just takes getting used to thats all

Sounds like I'm gonna try a set of D606s... :thumbsup:

Don't get a D606 for the front. Go with a MT 21 or AC 10.. Anything but a D606. I could never get the front to hook up no matter what.

Back worked good and lasted a long time.

I like my kenda Trackmaster II better thou, but won't last as long on the street as the D606.

By the way.. these are more like 90/10 DOT Knobbies,

I'm somewhat inclined to use the same brand front and rear - Would MT21 or AC10 in the rear work well too?

Don't get a D606 for the front. Go with a MT 21 or AC 10.. Anything but a D606. I could never get the front to hook up no matter what.

Back worked good and lasted a long time.

I like my kenda Trackmaster II better thou, but won't last as long on the street as the D606.

By the way.. these are more like 90/10 DOT Knobbies,