Sign in to follow this  

engine tick

i have a 06 ktm 400 exc. i recently changed the oil; both filters and drained all three drains. i refilled the oil but used only 1 quart. i completed in a harescramble on sunday and at about 5 miles in developed a medium sounding tick. i could kick start the bike when i stalled, and always had acceleration when turning the throttle. when i put the bike on the trailer i notice in the oil site glass there was not any oil showing. i found out that i was about a quarter quart low when refilling the oil. i have drained the oil and there was oil in the engine. i refilled the oil until it is half why up the site glass, and restarted the bike but the ticking remains. does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong and what that ticking could be.

The RFS is a noisy engine.

I doubt you did any harm running 1 Qt. Should be 1 liter by the way (1.06 Qt.). A lot of people run just 1 L. when they do a oil change. Should put the oil level at the bottom of the site glass but thats inconsistent. The bigger the engine, the more important it is to run the oil level lower.

Does the sound change when you pull in the clutch?

Have you adjusted your valves in the last 15 hrs.?

Did you add a skid plate recently?

0n the oil level you need to let it sit, after running, for a few hours level and see what drains down. It is usually only 1 qt on an oil change as you cant really get all the oil out. More than a qt and you may over fill. The tick may be valves or may be the cam chain adjuster. Cam chain adjuster is a replacement item if high miles on the bike.

noise is the same with clutch is in or out.

haven't adjusted the valves in last 15 hours, actually the motor has less than probably 300 miles on rebuilt engine.

haven't added a skid plate.

looks like i am going to have to pull it apart to see.

i will check on the crank nut. what exactly does the crank nut do?

Do a valve adjustment.

Should be done every 15 hrs.

Use the 1/6 method to set them.

If it's 'ticking' with the RPM's, probably a safe, but more loose than spec valve clearance. Mine has more than 6500 miles on it and have found this on occasion. Get it to .005" and it should quiet the motor. I check regularly as well.

where can i find information on the 1/6 method to adjust the valves?

thanks for all the help

CLICK HERE.

and

:thumbsup: