Sign in to follow this  

Sofa sleeper tore out of the wall.

So my sofa/sleeper tore out of the wall in my toyhauler. I was always careful to put down the legs before lowering after unloading the trailer. It appears to have been screwed into a stud. I am looking for any suggestions on repairing it. :thumbsup:

So my sofa/sleeper tore out of the wall in my toyhauler. I was always careful to put down the legs before lowering after unloading the trailer. It appears to have been screwed into a stud. I am looking for any suggestions on repairing it. :thumbsup:

Here's how I would tackle it-it's called "fishplating"....

Get a piece of 2" wide, fairly thick aluminum, couple foot long, attach it to the wall stud where the sofa was mounted, and mount it to the wall, then attach the sofa to that.

It's not as neat and clean as the OEM, but your other option would be to rip the wall out, replace the stud, then reinstall everything.

Good idea above.

Did the sofa break the stud, or is the sofa the part that got damaged?

Depending on how bad the stud was damaged, you can open the wall, cut out/replace the bad part, and "sister" a stud to it; that will at least get the stud repaired without having to go all the way to the top and bottom of the stud.

Not sure what to do about preventing it in the future (other than above); depends on what part ripped out of what.

It looks like it pulled out cleanly I'll know more this weekend. I like the fish plating idea. My first plan was to drill the holes clean and fill with a dowel and some wood glue, then drill a pilot and re-attach the sofa. Maybe I'll try to integrate the plate idea.

It looks like it pulled out cleanly I'll know more this weekend. I like the fish plating idea. My first plan was to drill the holes clean and fill with a dowel and some wood glue, then drill a pilot and re-attach the sofa. Maybe I'll try to integrate the plate idea.

Allow me to clarify on my ramblings....

The whole idea is to mount the plate using hardware that is anchored into undamaged sections of the wall stud, and still be able to anchor the sofa to the plate at the same height it was originally mounted, thus the sofa legs won't need to be cut or lengthened.

Chickenhauler has the right idea. I would go one step further and bend a short right angle on the bottom portion. That would sit on the floor with a bolt through it. This way, the weight would transfer to the floor and not just hang on the wall or stud. Make sense?

• Like 1

Chickenhauler has the right idea. I would go one step further and bend a short right angle on the bottom portion. That would sit on the floor with a bolt through it. This way, the weight would transfer to the floor and not just hang on the wall or stud. Make sense?

That makes AWESOME sense!:banana: