Sign in to follow this  

cr 250 rear spring help

I just picked up an 01 cr 250 and want to get the suspension setup. If feels squishy to me. It has a silver Racetech spring in the rear with the numbers 25730C on it and would like to know the spring rate of it. I called Racetech and they say its an older spring and they do not have any idea what it is? Any help would be great. I do not want to pull it and have it tested if I do not have to. I weight 220 pounds or so and want a spring to match my weight.

I suggest actually riding the bike before modding the suspension. Sitting in your backyard bouncing on the thing does not give much of an idea of how it will handle in a real world application.

I suggest actually riding the bike before modding the suspension. Sitting in your backyard bouncing on the thing does not give much of an idea of how it will handle in a real world application.

Point taken somewhat but knowing how bikes like this are sprung for light people chances are it will need to be stiffened up. Also my method of bouncing on the thing in my backyard closely simulates real world riding of all different terrains. I even have the "baaaa-baaaa" down pretty good with my lips. Its basically like riding the thing. If shopping for a bed and you lay on one that is way too soft you do not have to sleep a night on the thing to know its not right for you. How did you sleep last night? Trains go by a lot.

Adjust your preload all the way up then check your sag. If you can't get the correct sag then you'll need a new spring. I'm 220 and like a 5.2.

set race sag at 100mm with all your gear on and sitting in your normal riding position. measure sag of bike by itself, more than 40mm means spring is too weak for your weight. less than 30mm means spring too stiff. BTW websites like racetech and mx-tech give recommended spring rates vs rider wt. i think 5.5 or 5.4 kg/mm is recommended for 220# for mx. CRF450 use 5.5 or 5.4 springs stock, get one cheap from flea-bay. Ditto on front springs: the CRF450 fork springs are about right for you.

Point taken somewhat but knowing how bikes like this are sprung for light people chances are it will need to be stiffened up. Also my method of bouncing on the thing in my backyard closely simulates real world riding of all different terrains. I even have the "baaaa-baaaa" down pretty good with my lips. Its basically like riding the thing. If shopping for a bed and you lay on one that is way too soft you do not have to sleep a night on the thing to know its not right for you. How did you sleep last night? Trains go by a lot.

that reply just cracked me up :thumbsup: