Sign in to follow this  

09 300xcw stock shock spring?

I was looking for the specs for the 09 300xcw and saw that they listed a PDS spring as being stock on this model. Is this right??? I thought they were all straight rate springs now?

The reason I'm asking is I'm going to be getting some stiffer springs for my 09 300xcw and was planning on going with EE's straight rate, 8.8 per their suggestion. I'm 225-230 in street clothes.

I read somewhere that the PDS ones don't do much for heavier riders.

I'm not trying to get into the whole straight rate vs progressive spring debacle, I'm just curious about what I just saw for the specs.

ktm is known for inaccurate specs. I think they still (6 years later!) show the oil drain hole on the wrong side in the manual.

All the 2009's i have seen come with a 6.9 straight-rate rear spring. I haven't seen a progressive spring stock in many years.

Maybe they are using PDS in some other way than meaning 'progressive wound spring'. They call the rear suspension system PDS even with a straight rate spring. The progressive damping is built into the shock unit.

That is correct they are refering to their suspension as PDS, not the spring.

Hi everybody,

PDS means Progressive Dampening System, and it's related to the dampening needle inside the shock. The spring rate is stamped on the spring itself, in the manual you will find the chart with the info regarding sprngs and stock set up.

Regarding the drain hole I think they are right is just thta in the 125/200 is on one side 250/300 on the other, it easy to look at the wrong picture while consulting the manual.

The charts for the carburation for the 300...those are really off!

MotoXC

I was looking for the specs for the 09 300xcw and saw that they listed a PDS spring as being stock on this model. Is this right??? I thought they were all straight rate springs now?

The reason I'm asking is I'm going to be getting some stiffer springs for my 09 300xcw and was planning on going with EE's straight rate, 8.8 per their suggestion. I'm 225-230 in street clothes.

I read somewhere that the PDS ones don't do much for heavier riders.

I'm not trying to get into the whole straight rate vs progressive spring debacle, I'm just curious about what I just saw for the specs.

Let us know how the 8.8 turns out.

I'm about 205 in street clothes and I went to the 7.6 spring which IMO works real good. I'd think the 8.8 would be way to stiff so I'm curious as to how it works.

I'm about 205 in street clothes and I went to the 7.6 spring which IMO works real good. I'd think the 8.8 would be way to stiff so I'm curious as to how it works.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. I've been fairly happy with the stock springs, meaning that I'm not bottoming out, but my GPS keeps finding it's way onto the trail. So the forks are pretty harsh. That's never happened on my plush XR650L.

I haven't measured sag yet or played with the settings, other than softening the rebound 2 clicks on the shock due to harshness in the rear over bumps. It's not as violent now. The only thing bugging me is the numb throttle hand after a looong series of whoops, it does hop around a little on bigger bumps, but not to unsettling. Like I said, it eats the stuff up loads better than my overworked XR650L, but certainly isn't near as "plush" as the XR650L

Enduro Engineering is supposed to really know KTm's and suspension for here in Michigan, but I also think the 8.8 seems a bit stiff. They're also reccomending .48 fork springs, which I'm also wondering if that would be too much, since the ride is pretty harsh already. I guess I should get to finding out my SAG before anything gets ordered.

Edited by XRLDTG

XR, your ride is harsh because your springs are tooooo soft. You need to increase both ends for balance. .46 and 8.0 may not be perfect but a big improvement. Go up on both ends.

I ran a FCW3 (8-10 progressive) on my 07 SX with really good results. very little preload, maybe 3mm. I would think the 8.8 will be fine. Remember, the spring doesn't really control the stiffness, the valving does. At your weight I think it will be fine, considering it will help keep it in the plush part of the stroke and require less preload.

I'm just over 200lbs in my birthday suit and went with 4.4 front and 7.6 rear, I ended up with 35/115 sag numbers and after some testriding I left the front preload on zero for best balance.

On my '08 300 XC-W I installed a Factory Connection FCW-1. I'm 215lbs. w/ full gear. I spent time talking with the tech guys before settling on this particular spring. I thought it would be too light...but , in fact, it works out great.

I have 3mm of preload and it's plush and compliant over the slower speed stuff...and doesn't bottom over the higher speed whoops. I have had the shock re-valved and was told by the suspension tech the spring was correct for my weight and riding style.

As far as fork springs go...generaly a heavier spring will make it easier to tune the forks for a guy your weight than lighter springs. The valving and fluid type/fill level is more critical than the spring weight...but spring weight is also important. I was on the bubble about moving up to the next heavier spring in the fork...and I still may when I have the forks re-worked later this spring.

-Jay

A little update.

EE came up with 46 fork and a 8.4 rear this time on the phone. Which is different than their chart of .46 and 8.8 rear. So I went with their reccomendation.

THe shop installed the rear w/ 7mm of preload, that gave me just over 120mm of rider sag, since I got that figure at the trail head, I went with it cause I didn't want to screw with it, I just wanted to ride for the first time this year.

First round was 22 miles of jeep trail....that had been groomed, all the bigger whoops were gone from last year, so I couldn't see how it handled the same stuff as last year. But it was fairly smooth at speed on some other bumps.

Then round 2 was 22 miles of single track,that can't be groomed. This is where I noticed a difference. At slow speed, in those 1-1.5' whoops, the rear seemed to bounce the crap out of me.

I've since added one more turn of the preload collar and came up with 114.3mm of rider sag and static of 38.1mm, unfortunately, it was cold and rainy over the last weekend with some wind and I chose to stay out of the woods, so I don't know how this will work out. I have to wait two weeks before I can get out again. I'm hoping that all I'll need to do now is play with the clickers, like backing out on the high speed compression on the rear a couple of clicks to smooth it out.

I can't get static sag and rider sag right even with the heavier spring. If I set rider sag at 105mm then there's not enough static sag (too much preload). After trying it with the right rider sag and too much preload I went to the correct static sag and too much rider sag but it seems to work perfect now.

I can't get static sag and rider sag right even with the heavier spring. If I set rider sag at 105mm then there's not enough static sag (too much preload). After trying it with the right rider sag and too much preload I went to the correct static sag and too much rider sag but it seems to work perfect now.

I thought the numbers to shoot for were 35 static and 115 rider sag? U also heard that don't worry too much about static if you can get rider sag without cranking down too much preload. But I'm still new to this whole thing, so consider the source.

The books calls for 30mm static sag. When I set race sag at 105 the static sag is around 22mm. The bike feels out of balance with that much preload on the shock spring (stink bugged). I went back to 30mm static sag and it feels back in balance again. Rider sag is about 112mm with the correct static sag. I'm not sure what to try next if anything? I'm pretty happy with the suspension right now minus a little too much fork deflection but I think I can click that out easily enough.

The books calls for 30mm static sag. When I set race sag at 105 the static sag is around 22mm. The bike feels out of balance with that much preload on the shock spring (stink bugged). I went back to 30mm static sag and it feels back in balance again. Rider sag is about 112mm with the correct static sag. I'm not sure what to try next if anything? I'm pretty happy with the suspension right now minus a little too much fork deflection but I think I can click that out easily enough.

Hi cubera.

FWIW...you describe my experiences to the letter. I fiddled with preload just as you have done.

The bike sets up much better for me with 30mm of static sag. My rider sag number is 110mm - 112mm depending on wheather I'm retaining water or not.:thumbsup:

I've had the shock revalved and moded...and the tech who did the work was very clear about not wanting to change the spring or preload as he felt the settings were good.

-Jay

Midol works good for me, Jay:smirk:

Seriously, good to hear your suspension guy is happy with those settings since mine are the same basically. I think the rear end is perfect with the PDS6 spring and the front end is nearly perfect with the 4.4's. I'm having a problem with deflection off hard pack "turtle heads" causing the high speed dampening on the stab to work extra. Could be the forks or could be I'm just not used to the bike and how it behaves. I'll try that same stretch of trail again next day off and see if I can click that problem away. Other than that, I think the suspension is really near perfect or as good as it is going to get with stock valving. I do not like messing with clickers all the time for terrain changes so I'm looking for the set it and forget it happy place. I think it'll happen:thumbsup:

Midol works good for me, Jay:smirk:

Seriously, good to hear your suspension guy is happy with those settings since mine are the same basically. I think the rear end is perfect with the PDS6 spring and the front end is nearly perfect with the 4.4's. I'm having a problem with deflection off hard pack "turtle heads" causing the high speed dampening on the stab to work extra. Could be the forks or could be I'm just not used to the bike and how it behaves. I'll try that same stretch of trail again next day off and see if I can click that problem away. Other than that, I think the suspension is really near perfect or as good as it is going to get with stock valving. I do not like messing with clickers all the time for terrain changes so I'm looking for the set it and forget it happy place. I think it'll happen:thumbsup:

Cubera are you happy with the pds6, I am ordering a new shock spring for mine this week and am going cross eyed reading about straight vs progressive, for my weight I think I'd need an 8.4 straight but am leaning towards a pds7 or something similar 7.6-9.5. Anyway did you revalve? Happy with Progressive?

Hey, cat-alac! I think the PDS6 is perfect with the 4.4's up front. If you're wondering about springs just shoot Jeff Slavens an Email and he'll hook you up. That's what I did and that's where I got my springs too.:thumbsup::thumbsup::lol: He'll get my forks someday for re-valve if I can't get the minor deflection issue solved.

Hey, cat-alac! I think the PDS6 is perfect with the 4.4's up front. If you're wondering about springs just shoot Jeff Slavens an Email and he'll hook you up. That's what I did and that's where I got my springs too.:thumbsup::thumbsup::lol: He'll get my forks someday for re-valve if I can't get the minor deflection issue solved.

Thanks I did, he responded with a pds7 (220 in bday suit) I think I am going to send my head too, might as well imo.