Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Question about Watkins

I don't have the time to drive up to Berthoud this Saturday so I am thinking about taking my son out to Watkins. How does the kids track there compare to the kids track at Berthoud? Also, do the faster kids, and more importantly the adults, stay off the track and let the kids have the track to themselves?

Thanks.

I would say go early or go late, there are tools on the 50 track typically and it is not monitored by the Watkins folks. Find a time that the tools wont be out there.

The most Northern track the 50 track is a nice beginner track. It's long and has lots of turns on it. My son 5yr old loves watkins 50 track. Because there is an intermediate track the people that don't belong on the 50 track stay off of the 50 track.

Think there would be any issues with a stock PW80 on the 50 track? My son has only ridden 4 times so he is still quite slow.

No issues what so ever. It's called the 50 track but as long as you are just beginning it's all good.

I've seen plenty of parents learning with their kids puttin on that track in first gear and nobody seems to have any heartburn over it.

It's the folks who think they are evil knievel that get yelled at.

There is a middle intermediate track that your son could ride. It would probably be a little better for the 80.

Watkins also has a huge free ride area east of the main tracks.

It's a good place to spend the day. Just don't expect any grooming on the big track. They have really let the big track go downhill.:thumbsup:

Edited by earl69
?

]

There is a middle intermediate track that your son could ride. It would probably be a little better for the 80.

Watkins also has a huge free ride area east of the main tracks.:thumbsup:

Never been to watkins before, I do ride the big track but some days it just too busy and I feel I get in the way.

So how did it go??

It actually went pretty well. We went out there Saturday and Sunday and he just rode around the beginner track. It was a little awkward for him at first since he has never rode a track or with other riders but he got the hang of it pretty quick.

He would ride for an hour and then come in and ask me if I saw him 'catch air' on the jumps. I asked him how high he was going and he said "at least a foot" but reality was a couple of inches. Needless to say he had a great time.

He also had his first big crash off one of the jumps. He got a tiny bit of air and when he landed his hands came off the bars. It was really strange watching my 8 year old hit the ground but other than it scaring the piss out of him, he was fine. I let him get in another three laps and then called it a day.

Alltogether he rode for about 2 1/2 hours on Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday.

awesome. There is nothing better than getting to see your kid pound out laps.

My son is still on this training wheels. He is just too short to hold up his bike yet.

This weekend we're going to try to ride with out them. He got hung up in a rut at VDR this weekend and his back tire was in the air so I've taught him to lean back when he gets stuck and then gas it and he could usually get himself unstuck. Well he forgot to let off the gas and when his back tire hit he popped a wheelie and went over backwards. It looked like form my vantage point that the bars hit him in the face. When I got to him he was crying pretty bad and i thought he was hurt. Well it turns out he broke his rear fender and was crying because his bike was broken.

Well it turns out he broke his rear fender and was crying because his bike was broken.

A true MX rider there :banana:

Honestly i shed a tear of pride at that moment.

This little guy has a bright future, I can tell you that.

We were also there late Sunday afternoon and my son rode for an hour on the PW track. It's a great track and 99% of the kids on that track belong on that track and have fun. However, a kid on a quad almost ran my son and me over when he decided to exit the track after the last little jump on the north side at 25mph and shoot across the road.

Just be careful of the 1% who really don't belong on the PW track. You always have that at Watkins.

However, a kid on a quad almost ran my son and me over when he decided to exit the track after the last little jump on the north side at 25mph and shoot across the road.

Just be careful of the 1% who really don't belong on the PW track. You always have that at Watkins.

I know the kid you are talking about. He was out there Saturday also and he was going pretty well on that quad. Way too fast for the mini track in my opinion.

We were out in a dark gray Honda Odyssey with a 8 year old on a '04 PW80. What does your son ride?

We have a burgundy F150 with a trailer. He's 7 and on a TTR-50. There is also a TTR-125 and a YZ450F on the trailer. I ride the TTR125 when we go exploring off the track. I try and go later in the day because when he's done, we move over to the big track and I get to turn a few laps. I try to avoid the big track when its crowded. We may be out there this weekend.