Sign in to follow this  

Preload for Eibach

I ordered the front & rear spring kit and Jesse recommended .55 fork springs for my Safari tank. Does anyone know if Jesse sends the PVC spacer pre cut for preload or am I gonna have to mess around with it?

When I got springs from him for the 650 he gave me two sets of spacers pre-cut. When I got springs for the 350 it came with one long tube that I had to cut... My question is how do you know when you have the correct preload up front? Are you suppossed to measure static vs race sag there too?

I just spoke to Janet at Keintech and she told me they ship them out with two spacers now, 1 @ 2 1/2" and 1 @ 2 3/4" and to just pick one :thumbsup:

I'm 215lbs + about 50Lbs of fuel up front, which one do I use?

I just spoke to Janet at Keintech and she told me they ship them out with two spacers now, 1 @ 2 1/2" and 1 @ 2 3/4" and to just pick one :thumbsup:

I'm 215lbs + about 50Lbs of fuel up front, which one do I use?

The one that gives you about 50mm of static sag and should be about 70mm race sag.

The one that gives you about 50mm of static sag and should be about 70mm race sag.

just give it lots

I dunno about anyone else but I find the 'recommended' to still be far too soft? i've jacked my rear end preload up to about 2mm of static sag and it's awesome. Nice and firm, soaks up a lot more than what I had it at before which would have been closer to 50mm static sag. I still need to do the front end which has given me insight as to how bad the front end is tracking in comparison. When I give it a handful and keep the front end light in the corners she's a lot more stable

just give it lots

I dunno about anyone else but I find the 'recommended' to still be far too soft? i've jacked my rear end preload up to about 2mm of static sag and it's awesome. Nice and firm, soaks up a lot more than what I had it at before which would have been closer to 50mm static sag. I still need to do the front end which has given me insight as to how bad the front end is tracking in comparison. When I give it a handful and keep the front end light in the corners she's a lot more stable

I don't know... Jesse recommended the .55 fork springs taking into account a Safari tank full of fuel, but what about when it's not full? I may go less.

Howdy:

When I did mine last year I re-installed the spacers that came out of the forks. I found it way too soft still. 225 Lbs. I measured and cut some PVC tubing and installed it. Much better but still a bit too soft. Very easy to do so I'll remove, measure and cut a little longer to try for this summer.

Need a starting point for sure so I would just install a spacer and go from there. It might work well but if not just try something longer. Just make sure it's a clean cut and flat.

My kit was from Pro Cycle. Fork " Solution Kit ".

I don't know... Jesse recommended the .55 fork springs taking into account a Safari tank full of fuel, but what about when it's not full? I may go less.

I followed jesse's recommendations but just found it too soft. Lack of dampening contributes to the problem but comparing sagginess of other bikes such as KTM 525, FE550, KTM990, XT660 and others particularly road bikes. They are all significantly firmer than the DR650's recommended spring rate and preload. And it shows dramatically in the ride quality particularly offroad. It can be comfortable but if you try and throw it one way then throw it the other you'll find that you're ready, but you're waiting for the bike to respond. Offroad it's extremely noticeable when powersliding or on hard hits. There's a noticeable amount of lag-time while you're waiting for the bike to stop wobbling around before it becomes fully under your control again.

When I jacked my rear end preload way up to the point where there is almost zero static sag I was shocked at how much better it was in the corners when I got hard on the throttle throwing all the weight and traction to the back. And then shocked again as I hit the brakes and it just acted like a plow digging into the ground and not going the way I wanted it to. Powerslides also much better, I could hang the back out further and feather the throttle to keep it exactly where I wanted it. Before it had too much wobble and wouldn't allow precise throttle control. The result was that if I backed off it would want to straighten up again unless I gave it 'too much' throttle, to overcome the large shift in momentum. It also loved to track the back end directly into as many ruts as it could find, it's still not fantastic but it does track much straighter. To the point where I believe my GPS showed me 146kph along a powerline track. :thumbsup:

Does too much preload up front jack up the geometry of the bike and lead to harder steering?