Sign in to follow this  

CRF exhaust on XR650L with pics

I just got my pipe on but made a adjustment i cut 2 inches out of it GetAttachment23.jpg then welded it back together GetAttachment1.jpg now it fits closer to the frame at the bend in the pipe GetAttachment2.jpg just not to happy with how low it hangs down so I am going to notch it out and make a few more bends to get it a bit higher GetAttachment22.jpg more pics to follow, sounds great not too much louder then the cobra that was on it. at an idle it is real quite. sorry for pic quality cell phone pics :thumbsup:

Edited by soundtech

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with my stock exhaust off my CRF 250X. Did you have to change your jetting?

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with my stock exhaust off my CRF 250X. Did you have to change your jetting?

no I had an aftermarket slipon on it before so the jetting so far seems ok it has more low mid to mid top end power if i pull it just right i can do roll on second gear wheelies now and that is on 3 month old gas and it sounds so much better than the cobra i had on it , it was the best 30 bucks i ever spent on the pig :thumbsup:

Does it have a spark arrester?

That looks like the "R" version with no arrester. The X versions have a screen style arrester.

I've been hassled so many time by rangers and sheriffs that have no clue as to how to inspect the stock Krizman on our bikes. I picked up a 250 X pipe a few weeks ago on ebay for $50 delivered. I had just found yet another crack in the stock pipe so it's time. The price was sure right.

I've not yet tried to see what mods it will need. Not too many I hope because I don't think I can weld the pipe like soundtech did since it is stainless. I have gas and stick welding. Can you gas weld the pipe?

1.) That looks like the "R" version with no arrester. The X versions have a screen style arrester.

2.)I have gas and stick welding. Can you gas weld the pipe?

1.) That's what I thought, but couldn't recall exactly.

2.) Yes, but I don't think it's that easy to do for non-professional welders. I practiced MIG welding on some 316L stainless tube with the wrong gas and it's easy to get a pretty weld on top, but it sugars really bad on the back if it isn't back purged, especially when overheating the weld like I did. :thumbsup:

You might be able to retrofit your stick welder into a scratch-start TIG with a torch and shielding gas setup if it's important enough. Heck, you can even build a scrappy DC TIG with a 130A car alternator....

I just got my pipe on but made a adjustment i cut 2 inches out of it GetAttachment23.jpg then welded it back together GetAttachment1.jpg now it fits closer to the frame at the bend in the pipe GetAttachment2.jpg just not to happy with how low it hangs down so I am going to notch it out and make a few more bends to get it a bit higher GetAttachment22.jpg more pics to follow, sounds great not too much louder then the cobra that was on it. at an idle it is real quite. sorry for pic quality cell phone pics :banana:

I have the same setup, 04 crf450r exhaust. Once installed on my 650L it was very loud, to loud for me. I drilled out the rivets from the end cap to check the packing, not much left in there, replaced the packing with some i had laying around (Honda wants $70 for OEM packing), tapped threads into the end cap then used bolts instead of rivets, it helped with the noise but still to loud. i found a large washer that had to be tapped in slightly in the end of the inner core pipe and it quieted it down enough, still loud but a lot better. another thing to look out for is the brake caliper coming up and hitting the bottom of the exhaust can under full compression of the rear suspension.

I have the same setup, 04 crf450r exhaust. Once installed on my 650L it was very loud, to loud for me. I drilled out the rivets from the end cap to check the packing, not much left in there, replaced the packing with some i had laying around (Honda wants $70 for OEM packing), tapped threads into the end cap then used bolts instead of rivets, it helped with the noise but still to loud. i found a large washer that had to be tapped in slightly in the end of the inner core pipe and it quieted it down enough, still loud but a lot better. another thing to look out for is the brake caliper coming up and hitting the bottom of the exhaust can under full compression of the rear suspension.

Yea that is what i am worried about with the pipe hanging down so low so i am taking the whole bike in to the welding shop to see about making a few bends in the pipe to get it up a little higher one idea i have is to cut the canister off and turned the mid pipe so the bend turns up a little and then reweld the canister back on just have to watch the clearance between the side of pipe and tire the other choice is to notch the top of the lower mid pipe bend it up an reweld and then notch the bottom of mid pipe by the canister and bend it down should get an inch or two more clearance which would do it. It is kinda loud when you are really getting on it but crusing it is ok and I was looking to install some 1/16 th inch stainless steel screen just inside the end of the pipe to do a make shift spark arrestor.

GetAttachment22.jpg Before cutting and rewelding IMG00176.jpg after the cutting and rewelding it went from 9" of clearance to 11.5" of clearance between the caliper and pipe