Sign in to follow this  

cracked engine casing

Discovered an oil leak on the left had side of the engine (flywheel cover) and couldn't work out where it was coming from as I have just replaced gasket.

Finally traced it to a very small crack in the casing near one of the bolt holes.

Question is can I fix it temporarily with metal filler or is that not advised. It seems quite bad and I reckon the oil would drain out within a few days.

Gutted as I have just finished a service.

without knowing the year, i can only tell you what iv done,

a product called 3M panel bond used in the autobody trade, works very well, the surface has to be clean.

figured it held the quarter panels on my truck pretty darn good, figured it would fix a cracked case..and yes, it does.

"Liquid -metal" type pastes are o.k.,

the problem with any of these things is you need dry ,oil free , surfaces

not that easy on a leaking engine,

glad to hear you've got it running better,

good lick ,

Charlie

JB Weld.....

Put a small hole (1/16 in) in the case cover of my CRF205R. 2 years later, still looks like the day I put it in.

I also over thightened the oil drain plug on my sons RM85. Cracked the boss around the drain hole. Patched that also. Its been a few years and still holding strong.:thumbsup:

Just make sure the surface is clean. Drain all the oil and let it sit for a few days to get all the oil on the interior surfaces to drain off. What you want is to minimize the amount of oil coming through the crack when you put on the JB Weld. Hit the outside with some brake cleaner and let it dry. I used the quick drying kind of JB Weld. I think the quicker it dryes tthe less chance of oil coming through the crack and it not sticking well.