Sign in to follow this  

looking to get more powewr out of my bike

I have a 250 exc, its a 2005. I have been playing around with different jets and I put in a red power valve spring and have been making small adjustments to the power valve but my bike still has a bog in 2nd and 3rd. I ride at close to sea level and its usually mid 50's this time of year. Now I am going to try different gears, right now it is geared 14/50 and Im going to go to 13/50. Any of you guys have any combination that seem to work well? I usually ride single track.

On another note I need to put a new top end in the bike, Im not sure how long its been since it was replaced. Can i put in a sx kit in the exc? Would I get more power out of it or is it a waste of time without doing more to it like a cylinder?

thanks

Its never going to run right with low compression, new they have 180 psi and will run down to 130 psi.

I have a 250 exc, its a 2005. I have been playing around with different jets and I put in a red power valve spring and have been making small adjustments to the power valve but my bike still has a bog in 2nd and 3rd. I ride at close to sea level and its usually mid 50's this time of year. Now I am going to try different gears, right now it is geared 14/50 and Im going to go to 13/50. Any of you guys have any combination that seem to work well? I usually ride single track.

On another note I need to put a new top end in the bike, Im not sure how long its been since it was replaced. Can i put in a sx kit in the exc? Would I get more power out of it or is it a waste of time without doing more to it like a cylinder?

thanks

13/50 is stock, so you are geared high, that's part of your problem. Do you know how much time is on the topend? The bog is likely jetting related. You can gain much when properly jetted. Many actually go up 2 on the rear to a 52.

Check compression if possible, but if you don't know where it was to start, it really won't give you a good idea of how much you have lost.

I would work with jetting first, likely needle change.

What is your jetting setup, needle, jets, AS setting?

at least for the 04 the sx piston is domed and the exc is flat. The head match.