Sign in to follow this  

DR350s low rpm bogging

So the bike is relatively new to me. Its a 93 with relatively high mileage (28k) and I have no idea what modifications or maintenance the previous owner did. it pulls like a freight train but I have an issue when I have been sitting idling for a while and try to pull away - it just seems to bog and stall as I open the throttle. I now am afraid of stalling it at every light so I am having to rev pretty high and keep the clutch in. Its got a stock pipe and no airbox mods. could it be as simple as cleaning the carb out? if this helps it seems to pop pop quite a bit on deceleration (more than my other bikes).

after it stalls I have issues with restarting it. Basically have to turn ignition off and start the process as is I was cold starting.

Help!!!:thumbsup:

Sounds like a clogged pilot jet or passages. You will have to take the carb apart and clean or replace the pilot jet, remove the idle mixture screw, and spray carb cleaner up both passages. Take note of how many turns out (from a lightly seated position) the idle mix screw has before you remove it.

You should also check the valve clearence and make sure the gap is correct.

It might be as simple as the idle mix screw being turned too far out. I had the same problem with my DR650 when the screw was opened too far. It would load up while idling too long and bog or stall. It would even quit sometimes if it idled too long. Your exhaust may be modified if it pops on decel a lot. My stock can is muffled too much to hear the popping.

thanks guys. exhaust is completely stock and I have read that the popping is a sign of extremely lean running.

The carb is also the stock one.

think I will start with checking fuel mixture screw, then rebuild/clean carb. valve job needs to be done too.

great info.