Sign in to follow this  

armoral kills plastic?

this sounds like a load of crap but someone from acerbis told me this today. apparently it make plastic brittle. he said to use maxima sc1. Can I just spray silicone spray on plastics and rub it in with a rag? I hate to have hundreds of products around the house.

this sounds like a load of crap but someone from acerbis told me this today. apparently it make plastic brittle. he said to use maxima sc1. Can I just spray silicone spray on plastics and rub it in with a rag? I hate to have hundreds of products around the house.
:thumbsup: Yes.

Just make sure the area is vented. The stuff smells kinda pleasant...If you begin to daydream too much, seek fresh air.:ride: I use it on my tech 10's as it protects and helps the buckles work better. It can keep the roost-protection looking new too.

I am gonna chime in on this one...When I was a yonker back in the mid eighties I had a Suzuki LT 230 Quad Sport (ATV). I used Son-Of-A-Gun to shine the plastic. This was readily available and back then it was cheaper than Armor All. It shined the plastic pretty good, but it faded fast. After using this exclusively for about a year, the plastic did start to fade, and it got brittle. The quad was stored in a shed so it wasnt sitting out in the sun all the time to fade. Whether or not this was caused by the Son-Of-A-Gun or not I am not 100% sure, but I always thought it was. I have been using Armor All Tire Foam on the plastics on all my Quads and Bikes for the past 6 or 7 years now, and so far I have had no problems whatsoever. Hope this helps...

I used to hear that in the 80's, that Armor All will crack your plastic. Doubt it was the Armor All - probably the crappy plastic. Sounds like the rumor is still going around. But who knows? If your thinking it might crack your plastic, switch.

The funny thing is: I have been told by an oldtimer mx guy I know, to wipe your goggles with armor all once in a while as it helps to fill in the scratches.:thumbsup:

I've used Armor All on my motorcycles and trucks and never had a problem with plastic cracking. It is a rumor that just doesn't seem to go away. I have used WD-40 on my bike's plastic without any problems too.

I don't know if Armor All has changed it formulation or not but if I remember correctly it used to be silicone based (long time ago). From what I was told anything silicone based or petrochemical based is not good for plastics.

I used to hear complaints all the time about it. I really haven't heard anything bad about it in the last 10 years or more.

Armour all will make plastics brittle, including pleather. There is a product called 303 that is like sunblock for your stuff (I think that's their logo). It is great, and will preserve delicate materials indefinately even in high exposure settings (boaters use it alot).

The funny thing is: I have been told by an oldtimer mx guy I know, to wipe your goggles with armor all once in a while as it helps to fill in the scratches.:thumbsup:

Mop & Glo was great for that use. However, I don't think you can even find it nowadays.

I work as an auto detailer as a second job. I wouldnt use any Armor All product on any vehicle ever. It dries out Plastic and rubber. Products with silicone do more harm than good long term. I only use top products on my car or bike. I have a 2004 Mazda 3 that looks like a new car simply because I use the best products. If you want long lasting shine without collecting dust or making the plastic look dull you should use a product by a company named Stoner's. The product is called "Shine". It is used for plastics and rubber. You apply it liberally allow it to sit for a few minutes then buff off the excess. It works great and it wont dull the plastic..

k thanks for the info. So is there any reason not to use silicon spray so shine up the plastics? It says right on the bottle for use on plastics...thanks

I read in Dirt bike a year or so ago about one factory team (Can't remember which) that used silicon spray after washing to keep the plastic looking good. I use it on my quads and bikes.......plastic looks great and so far no problem with them becomming brittle. Also, lemon pledge works great as well. Attracts bees in the summer though....lol

No Touch Tire Care !

Just spray your complete bike with it , let it sit for a few , then wipe with a DRY towel , when wiping you will actually feel the surface getting slicker the more you polish

It shines the plastic and your tires , helps keep the dirt and mud from sticking real bad , and it smells like cherries ! Mmmmmmmmm !

I have used Plexus and SC1 and both work great. Plexus is used for plastic "repair" (scratch repair) and SC1 is a "clear coat" for plastics. I actually have used them together with Plexus followed by SC1 and it lasted pretty long in the AZ heat and dirt. It is also great for removing mud and dirt after a ride. It can be used on the metal surfaces, as far as I know, although spraying the entire bike would get pricey. I use PAM or WD-40 for the frame and metal parts before riding to make clean up easier. JMO.

:thumbsup: Yes.

Just make sure the area is vented. The stuff smells kinda pleasant...If you begin to daydream too much, seek fresh air.:lol: I use it on my tech 10's as it protects and helps the buckles work better. It can keep the roost-protection looking new too.

Im doing that first thing tomorrow I never even thought of doing my boots. I usually do a little under my fenders and on the skid plate to keep the mud from sticking.:ride:

you should probably be safe and use sc-1.. just because it smells so damn good :thumbsup:

k thanks for the info. So is there any reason not to use silicon spray so shine up the plastics? It says right on the bottle for use on plastics...thanks

They want to sell more... you figure it out. LOL

All I know is Armor All is crap and I have plenty of experiance with plastic going south over time from the use... My .02 .................oldskoo11

The funny thing is: I have been told by an oldtimer mx guy I know, to wipe your goggles with armor all once in a while as it helps to fill in the scratches.:ride:

Furniture polish works best.Then buff the lense with a clean cloth.Been doing it for years.:thumbsup: