Sign in to follow this  

Steering Damper

I have a steering Damper on my bike that worked great outwest trailriding ...will it inhibit my track riding ? I must say i am used to riding with a stiff setting ......

I ride with my RTT steering damper on the track and have no issues. I do sometimes adjust to a lower setting to give me a lighter feel on tighter, smoother tracks, but other than that I usually run a middle setting ( number 3-4 on my RTT) about all the time.

Might get one but will it help with mx?

It depends on your riding style and what kind of tracks you ride. On rougher, more open tracks I feel that the damper helps to keep me going in the direction I want to go and I don't feel the need to hang onto the bars firmly.

On tighter, smoother tracks I usually put my damper to a lower setting. Here I don't feel like I really need a damper.

My riding style is not very aggressive and I feel that my style fits with having a steering damper.

One place I can feel the damper in a negative way is trying adjust my bike left or right on the take-off of jumps or purposely turning my bars in the air ( attempting to scrub or whip). Here I feel some unneeded resistance when I have my damper on. One of the great things about an RTT damper it that I have a thumb switch that lets me turn the damper on and off while riding. That way I can simply turn the damper off before a jump or a tight, smooth section, and turn it back on when I leave that specific section:thumbsup: