Sign in to follow this  

Damper Turning Radius

Does anyone have a steering damper on their bike? Looking at the Scott's I have on my 450X, I would like to transfer it over to the 230 when using it. I am seeing that the turning radius may conflict with the tower of the damper. It looks like it would hit the tower and possibly over turn the arm on the damper.

Has anyone ran into this?

Hello Graham,

I have had a Scott's on mine for years and there is no issue. It works as intended. I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, but the turning stops on the frame of the 230 are adequate to rprevent exessive movement of the Scott's link arm in either direction.

I have had a discussion with Scott's about this exact topic and everything is ok.

Could you please clarify your question so I can make sure I addressed it?

Thanks.

That's exactly what I was asking. Thank you. How does the damper work on the 230? I'm sure it' awesome. Riding without one is weird now so I want to use it on the 230. Is you tower a weld-on or a bolt-on?

I keep the damper low speed adjustment turned off so I don't really notice a difference in general riding. I had it on my KTM last year and drove the Honda all year without a damper. I liked it fine without the damper because I drive very tame.

It is now mounted back on the Honda because I want it to hopefully save me in a situation that may arise where the high speed damper would kick in.

I could never get the clamp to stay good enough on so I had it welded on.

I think the weld-on is stronger. The bolt-on will spin on the head tube because it it round. On my 450X, it's an oval and is solid.

Edited by Graham Dwight

I have a weld on post and I think weld on will provide a stronger mount than clamping.

As far as turning range the Scotts is 90 degrees included angle (45 degrees each side). The steering stops on most bikes are also set up to the same or less angle.

I wanted a greater turning angle for tight trail riding and called Scotts to see if they had a damper with a greater range; no.