Sign in to follow this  

Linkage * updated pics

Okay so I could not rename my other linkage thread so I had to create another one. I took my linkage off and was looking at it and I popped the silver cover off, then i pushed the sleeve through. The needles are wet with old grease, you know brown and dirty looking. Will the needles fall out? Also the sleeve has like 2 tracks where the bearings roll on it, not indented, but like discolored and like not shiny you know I dont know how to explain it, you can sort of see it in the pics. And at the bottom is a pic of my grease. it doesnt say waterproof, but does anyone know if it is? What should I do first?

P3030057-1.jpg

P3030061.jpg

P3030065.jpg

P3030072.jpg

Edited by ride for life

Just take the needle bearings out ( don't lose them ) like on a rag and clean everything up. Your grease looks fine. Put a little grease inside the sleeve and use like a toothpick dip in grease so each bearing will stick to it then put each one back inside it gets a little hairy with the last few but they'll fit then rub grease throughout and slide your "track" back in and put the seals back and reinstall.

You need to clean that linkage befor you do anything dude??? Geez....... Then do what he said above!

Just take the needle bearings out ( don't lose them ) like on a rag and clean everything up. Your grease looks fine. Put a little grease inside the sleeve and use like a toothpick dip in grease so each bearing will stick to it then put each one back inside it gets a little hairy with the last few but they'll fit then rub grease throughout and slide your "track" back in and put the seals back and reinstall.

does it matter if I dont put them back in the same exact spot? and if i flip them around or something, its all good? and the grease that was in there initially is what is holding them in there from falling down?

does it matter if I dont put them back in the same exact spot? and if i flip them around or something, its all good? and the grease that was in there initially is what is holding them in there from falling down?

Well, if you are TRULY anal and have nothing else to do I guess that would be the best way.

But the rest of us just stuff them back in there in whatever order.

The grease is what keeps them from falling down.

the only ones you have to keep seperate are the ones on the triangle piece where the shock bolts into it. those needle bearings are shorter in length and there are 27 (i think) that go around on the inside. the rest (2 holes left on the triangle and the dogbone piece) are the same size. and i think there are 32 that go around on the inside on each set.

oh and kerosene cleans them really well, just be sure to dry everything out really well cause kerosene doesnt evaporate like gasoline does.

thanks for the replys.. Im goin to start on it in a little bit, my dad got a bottle of contact cleaner from his work so once i have the needles out im gonna spray that on em clean out the old grease in there then reinstall the needles back in. I will let you know how it goes...

Here are some more pictures..

P3060078.jpg

the needles out, and cleaned.

Back the sleeves with grease then one by one put them little buggers back in

P3060079.jpg

The sleeve on the other side, cleaned and ready for grease

P3060080.jpg

used contact cleaner to spray on the needles and it removes all the old grease

P3060082.jpg

Magnet, very handy couldnt have done it without

P3060083.jpg

the dirt track removed

P3060084.jpg

the excess grease that cant fit when track is put back through

P3060085.jpg

I am done doing both big ends.. I cant seem to get the tracks out of the little end of the linkage. cant get it out with my finger nail, and I tried to put somehting in there to push it out from the inside but no go. what do you guys think