Sign in to follow this  

Clutch pulls wicked HARD, help!!

I bought a used 2007 CRF450R. It has a reckluse outer clutch but the stock pressure plate and center clutch. The stock "pink" springs were in it, but I replaced them with new pink ones anyway. The cable isn't new, but with the clutch out it moves freely, no problem there. The pressure plate is showing signs of wear and should be replaced. Why does the clutch lever pull so hard? I expect it to be more than a 250, but this is rediculous. Please HELP if you can.

Every one I let ride my 08 complains about how hard my clutch is to pull. Unless you feel binding when you pull the clutch lever, its probably just normal for the crf450r. :thumbsup: Just start playin with yourself with your left hand and you'll get used to it:banana:.

Also, check the pivot point on the lever. does it have a brass insert? if not, file it in the T can and get a better one. buff the smooth part of the bolt and grease it, you'll be surprised.

Every one I let ride my 08 complains about how hard my clutch is to pull. Unless you feel binding when you pull the clutch lever, its probably just normal for the crf450r. :thumbsup: Just start playin with yourself with your left hand and you'll get used to it:banana:.

Excellent advice! Being ambidextrous is great, but it's so much more work!

You said you replaced the stock pink springs with new ones. Are the new ones stock or aftermarket. Personally, most aftermarket springs feel much stiffer then OEM springs.

Pull out the clutch lifter rod and make sure it is straight and doesn't have any burs.

Even though the cable might pull smoothly it still might be worn out. With unknown hours on it, I would replace it anyway.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does a worn out pressure plate look like?

Excellent advice! Being ambidextrous is great, but it's so much more work!

You said you replaced the stock pink springs with new ones. Are the new ones stock or aftermarket. Personally, most aftermarket springs feel much stiffer then OEM springs.

Pull out the clutch lifter rod and make sure it is straight and doesn't have any burs.

Even though the cable might pull smoothly it still might be worn out. With unknown hours on it, I would replace it anyway.

There were pink springs in it (a pink stripe factory painted on each one), and I ordered new stock replacement ones. The new ones that came were pink also. Was probably unnecessary to change them, but for the money I changed them out. I will be replacing the clutch part and the cable as well, for piece of mind. Who knows, may cure the problem. The pressure plate has a ridge around the edge where the first clutch plate touches it. The clutch material isn't as wide as the aluminum and from use has warn leaving a slight ridge on the edge.

Mine was the same way. I replaced pressure plate, hub, and new clutch cable, asv levers. pulls like a champ!

I always thought that ASV levers were a mindless gimmick....until I bought my CRF450R with them already installed. I've never been able to pull the clutch with one finger like I can with the ASV's. You might start by replacing the levers first.

I never would have believed what the problem was, but I got it figured out. Like I said earlier, the cable moves freely with the clutch out, so I never suspected it. Although upon further review it seems to be warn at the end. With nothing to lose, I lubed it with some wd-40 and BAM!!! it came right into it. Must be under load the crap in it was binding? Not sure, but I have a new cable coming. Thanks for all your help. Maybe I'll tell the Mrs. that I need the new levers anyway? He he he.

Rotordawg

Mine is the same way. Lubed it but still hard, nature of the beast. Im sure there is a design solution. Its simple physics of lerage. Thats why the ASVs probably work well, as does the Maguro. Anyone else have an aftermarlet lever whose design makes this clutch pull feel like butter? Leaning toward ASV but would like to know for sure.

if you want the the smoothest clutch ever just install a reckluse pro .:banana: you will never have a sore hand from clutching again.

Mine is the same way. Lubed it but still hard, nature of the beast. Im sure there is a design solution. Its simple physics of lerage. Thats why the ASVs probably work well, as does the Maguro. Anyone else have an aftermarlet lever whose design makes this clutch pull feel like butter? Leaning toward ASV but would like to know for sure.

Personally, I've felt the pull on some ASV levers and wasn't anything special - definitely didn't justify the price. But, if I was going to fork out the dough for some trick levers, the Sunline levers are the shit (figuratively speaking of course).

I have the stock clutch lever and my pull is butter smooth... really. Aside from the cable the springs make a big difference too. OEM are very good. Recently tried some Barnett clutch springs, and found them to be excellent.

By the time you 'need' to lube the cable it's already worn out. A new one will really make the biggest difference.

Warnplate.jpg

There should not be that ridge on the inside of the plate surface.