Sign in to follow this  

Dr650 Rider's weight question.....opinions plz.

I have seen some posts on here from current dr650 riders that are not so happy with the "spongey" feel of the suspension. i am 5'11" and unfortunately 245 lbs. so i worry bout that somewhat. i have been riding street bikes for a while and have owned 2 ninja 600's and a cbr 600. i like the sport bikes but my wrists kill me after a long ride, dont like paying high insurance rates, and i cant ride in the dirt. my bud bought a honda 650L and i rode it and fell in love. i just prefer the looks of the dr650 a lot more and the seat height so i have plans on purchasing a new one very soon. i found a white one at the local dealership for $4950 out the door. my question is at my current weight am i too heavy for the dr's suspension to feel comfortable on the road and what are some of you guys' weight and height and if you have had any problems what would be the quick remedy for the bike besides me losing weight? my riding style would be 80% street/20% dirt. thank you for you replies in advance.

I to suffer from a seafood diet, I see food I eat. Stock dr suspension from what I have read is set up for a 165lb. indivudual. Now what good american wieghts in at 165lbs.? I spent the money for a front fork set of Eibach springs and emulators with 10wt oil and revalved the rear shock with proper sag set, all part are available from from Procycle and well worth the money. I can go thru the whoops as fast as guys on thier KTM's can, it was that much of an improvement. Good luck and motor on.

im 5'10 and 260 give or take and i rode a DR for a year all stock without too many problems. is it optimal no, but it will ride like a caddy on fire trails with that much weight. I say do it up if you hate it then get the springs and emulators. Orrrr swap on a rmz fork like i did

Well I'm 6'2" and about 225. All muscle! LOL! :ride: I rode my 08 DR 650 the first summer pretty much stock and didn't really have too many issues even with a large backpack and camping gear on the rack. I new it was saggy for sure so I ordered all the parts from Pro Cycle and had everything calculated for my weight and riding style. After I did all the work and went for a ride it was like a new bike. Didn't sag at all and off road it's awesome.

Long story short, if you're planning on keeping your new bike and getting the most enjoyment out of it I would highly recommend doing the suspension for your weight and style. Night and day I found and would do it again.

Or you could just go to the gym and lose some weight but the only problem with that is they don't serve beer there! :thumbsup:

I have seen some posts on here from current dr650 riders that are not so happy with the "spongey" feel of the suspension. i am 5'11" and unfortunately 245 lbs.

With that weight on stock setup, the DR650 will sit so low it will look like one of your sports bikes :thumbsup:

Even on it's on weight, it sags quite abit. I'm 185lb, and I found the rear suspension way too soft so I replaced it with a higher rate spring from Kuobalink.com. It would make it rides like a KTM, but it rides way better than stock.

For the front, I installed the intimadator thingy, and increased the preload. I'm not sure if it was money well spent.

:ride::ride:

i found a white one at the local dealership for $4950 out the door. my question is at my current weight am i too heavy for the dr's suspension to feel comfortable on the road and what are some of you guys' weight and height and if you have had any problems what would be the quick remedy for the bike besides me losing weight? my riding style would be 80% street/20% dirt. thank you for you replies in advance.

Buy it, ride it and report back. Good choice for the right reasons. Given you sound new to dirt and are looking at 80% pavement stock may be fine for you. If not as has been said it can be tweaked for not to much $$.

Bruce

280lbs

Edited by BDM

You also have to figure out if you are going to do whoops or not. Respringing will get the sag right and for fire roads and stuff that might be all you need. If you want to do MX stuff, you probably need to get into the emulators... to get the suspension working. This is a higher level of work and $. I would factor springs into the cost as you will probably need/want them. I only weigh 175 (sorry I'll try to eat more - I really can't drink much more beer) I resprung the back and added preload to the front and was happy - I would like front springs, the $ never gets there. I don't do MX just dirt roads

Well... I weigh right at 165lbs and I still think the rear is a bit soft. In my case the spring rate seems pretty good, I have just the right amount of static and race sag, but the shock is under damped. I normally ride like a butthead off road and sometimes overwhelm the rear, other than that it's not too bad.

BTW, at my weight the rear has plenty of adjustment left so I don't think 165lbs is the limit.... over 200lbs and I would think a new spring would be in order.

There used to be a really good how-to on setting up your suspension somewhere here on TT, but I can't find it now.

I have an '07 and I have done both the front and rear springs..I am 6'2" and weigh about 315 lbs now..I weighed 350 when I got it...I was WAYYY overloading the stock suspension, but only really felt it when going over bumps or making tight turns...I ordered my F&R springs from Uncle Jessie @ Keintech and installed 'em myself. Can't really remember the rates, but they were the highest rates he sells...Now the bike really handles bumps AND turns a lot better..and I can throw my Riding Partner on the back,(she weighs about 130) and the bike STILL handles better than stock...So, don't be unhappy about stock suspension...the mods are easy and about the cheapest and best thing you can do to improve how the pig(and I use that term with the utmost of love):ride: handles...When I ride solo, and come upon sport bike riders, I am constantly getting looks of bewilderment when they realize that up to about 80-85MPH they absolutely CANNOT shake me off of them..after they pass 100, well...that's another story...:thumbsup:

I've been riding mine with the stock suspension since I bought it new in Nov. of '05. My weight fluctuates between 240 and 250.

I'm 5' 11" and weigh about 235. As many said the stock springs are soft. I found them OK for the street (most of my riding) but went with new front and rear springs from Jesse at Keintech. The new springs definitely improved the ride. I would rate the need for springs are more important than a nice to have but less then a must have. I'd suggest buying the bike and as you get a feel for it, develop a list of farkles and put the springs near the top of the list (right up there with mirror extensions and removing the top chain roller).