Sign in to follow this  

my experiance buying crank seals straight from a manufacturer(BAD)

i found a seal manufacturers web site. i rebuild a lot of old bikes and sometimes the crank seals are like $18 a peices. so i figured i would try the site. i ordered the correct size double lip seal. i rebuilt the engine completely, the seal went in fine. but i am burning tranny fluid and fouling plugs. so i am guessing the seal just doesnt meet the standards of a motorcycle specific seal. it was worth a try. so i ordered a new one from TTstore. now you know

Well, before you go blaming the manufacturer, are you sure that you put it in right? You can easily either tear or make the seal non-functional with a single slip. That said, I have also had parts that I got that were defective, but the suppliers were happy to send me a new one.

It could also be a bad gasket or a nick in the case wall... even another seal depending on the engine. I would agree though, if you are sure you bought the right seal, send it back for a replacement

somebody talked about this on another thread, they said something about the right compound not just the double lip on the seal. have did a few old bikes, they sure screw you on parts in general. just did a tt600 head with new valves, i used 600 grizzly (Quad) valves. not only were they 1/2 the price of the tt valves they were 1mm bigger also. fit perfect with a valve job.