Sign in to follow this  

New Exhaust Runs Hot

Howdy:

2008 Suzuki DR650. Had until today the stock header with a supertrapp muffler. Have already jetted the carb and opened the air box up. Ran great all last year. I have a Vapor that shows cylinder head temp. Last summer, hot day climbing a hill it would show about 260 F. 300 F maximum. I set the first temp warning light to 300 F. Today it's about 50 F outside so I went for a ride with my new FMF Power Bomb header and FMF Q4 muffler. Great mid-range power and an overall improvement.

Problem is that even though it's cold out just cruising around town the temp is at 305 F. Much hotter than it has ever ran especially as it is cold out. The only thing I can think of is that it flows way more than the stock header and muffler making the bike running lean. I think my jet is a 160 ( not sure need to remove and look ).

Can my new exhaust setup create such a large lean condition even though I have already jetted and had an aftermarket muffler on it?

Responses are much appreciated.

Thanks,

:thumbsup:

does it run well? where did you find a reference on what considered "ok" for cylinder head temp on a dr650?

Eddie it does run well and better mid to high however I did notice a bit of a lag off the start. I do not have a reference at all for normal cylinder head temperature however through different forums someone said that it's okay up to 500F. I am not using that as a basis as it to me seems quite high.

Would you agree that with the new " high flowing " exhaust, it is scavenging the cylinder creating a lean mixture?

The power is better like I said mid to high but compared to last year with my previous exhaust it does seem a bit " boggy " off the line.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

if it revs nicely,its not lean. leaner than it was? yes.

boggy as in it coughs when you oepn the throttle quickly or just seems softer than it was.

if it revs nicely,its not lean. leaner than it was? yes.

boggy as in it coughs when you oepn the throttle quickly or just seems softer than it was.

Okay it does not cough! Just seems softer or less crisp!

what needle are you using?

I'm using the needle that came with my Moose Racing Jet Kit. Needle # DNT604. Main jet is a DJ170. Our elevation here is 4800 FT. I have placed the E-clip in groove # 4 from the top.