Sign in to follow this  

2010 Maintenance Schedule

What's up with changing the fork oil after break in? Never really heard of that before? And how are you making out with these topends? New piston and rings every 15 hours with an oil change? I see that being really pricey. I'm not one to go right by the book, but have never owned a Honda. Just looking for some insight. Thanks!

All of the books say crazy time intervals. Here's what I say on some intervals. Piston 70 hours (estimate for average rider), forks 40-50 hours, change oil every ride for me cause im a freak about oil changed, maybe 5 hours MAX for the average rider.

A new piston every 15 hours, nah. thats crazy, they are talking about 15 race hours, like never letting it breathe. you should be able to get about 100 hours out of a piston, more or less depending on the type of riding you do.. as for the fork oil, I can see it because when its brand new the insides shed some metal its normal, so they are saying to change it because the oil will get contaminated with metal shavings. just like you will see in your engine oil when you change it for the first time. I never changed my fork oil after break in but I probably should have. I hope this helps a little, just dont forget to change the engine and transmission oil at about 1-4 hours on the bike!

depends on rider, but i do piston about every 60hrs, and oils every 5-10hrs and air every 1-2 rides, my mate left his until 120hrs and it wasnt even that bad.