Sign in to follow this  

Anybody run a non o-ring chain in the woods?

I've heard about MX'ers running 'standard' chains. I was thinking I'd like to do this for the simple fact that I could pull it off after treks through the woods on the weekend and soak it in kerosene, then hit it with some WD and call it good.

Anyone else go this route? Sure is cheaper than an o-ring or x-ring chain.

Did that all thru the 70's, 80's, and early 90's

I'd just drop it into a bucket of gear oil...put a small grate on the bottom of the pan so it won't sit in the silt :thumbsup:

Sure you can use a non o-ring chain in the woods. I may be wrong but the only diff will be the need to lube it more often.

I've heard about MX'ers running 'standard' chains. I was thinking I'd like to do this for the simple fact that I could pull it off after treks through the woods on the weekend and soak it in kerosene, then hit it with some WD and call it good.

Anyone else go this route? Sure is cheaper than an o-ring or x-ring chain.

MX'ers don't use 'standard' chains, those things are junk. We use 'race' non-o-ring chains, which cost similar to o-ring chains but don't last nearly as long, but the last way longer than 'standard' cheap chains. I would definitely recommend an o-ring style chain for woods.

EB- didn't realize there were two types of non o-ring'ers. Do you guys avoid o-rings for reduced friction?

That and sometimes on certain bikes the extra width of a oring chain does not fit.

EB- didn't realize there were two types of non o-ring'ers. Do you guys avoid o-rings for reduced friction?

Yeah, there's many different types of chains. DID ERT2 Gold Race and Renthal R1 Gold Race are examples of MX chains. Theoretically they give less friction than o-ring chains, although I know full well I wouldn't feel a difference or have any worse race results if I used an o-ring. But using an o-ring throws out a "I'm just here to have fun I don't care about winning" vibe.

I run a non O-ring chain on my bike for woods and for practice mx tracks. Some chain manufactures offer several levels of chain from standard to heavy duty to full race non o-ring. Go with a mid grade or higher, keep it clean and lubed and it will last a long time. I got about six seasons on mine and it is just now at it's wear limit.

Too funny! So if one was sporting a ERT 2 he would be looking good but could still be out for fun/slow?

Chose the chain you want.To each his own.

My thoughts are a ringed chain is a good investment for off road.You figure a bike that goes to the track only might get 5hrs(couple of practice days and race weekend) a week on it. A off road bike can ride a easy 5 hrs a day twice weekend and if your lucky in the middle of the week.The ringed chains have to be adjusted way less and last longer.

Now if I don't like adjusting my chain every other ride I definitley don't want to take my chain off every weekend to soak it.

DID VT-Tring good chain.

Too funny! So if one was sporting a ERT 2 he would be looking good but could still be out for fun/slow?

Chose the chain you want.To each his own.

My thoughts are a ringed chain is a good investment for off road.You figure a bike that goes to the track only might get 5hrs(couple of practice days and race weekend) a week on it. A off road bike can ride a easy 5 hrs a day twice weekend and if your lucky in the middle of the week.The ringed chains have to be adjusted way less and last longer.

Now if I don't like adjusting my chain every other ride I definitley don't want to take my chain off every weekend to soak it.

DID VT-Tring good chain.

I must agree, by the time I get home sunday after dark the last thing I want to do is dismantle my rear end. And how does a chain last 6 seasons?? I'm amazed.

I was using O-ring chains in the past-DID,Regina,etc...

But i prefer non o-ring chains...

They are easier to maintain...

DID ERT2 Gold...:thumbsup:

Regarding the post immediately above, how is a non O ring chain easier to maintain????? I have bikes with both regular chains (65, 85 and 125), and O ring chains (250s). I'm a woods rider, and it is very muddy in these parts. I never do anything to the O ring chains other than spray a little lube on them after each ride. They are much more cost effective than regular chains, as they will easily last multiple seasons.

Also, on the general issue of drag, O ring chains have a good bit, especially when cold. However, I can't see drag being much of a factor for woods riding on any bike larger than 125cc. It does not take much power to get through the woods fast. Guys on small displacement bikes win races all the time in HS events.

Good hd race non o-ring.

wash it, lube it, put it away. Easy enough for me. As long as you don't leave them dirty they last a long time. I don't much care for the accelerated wear on the sprockets or increased drag from an o-ring chain. I might go on and try me a nice x-ring next time though. Haven't run one yet.

My opinion; (for what its worth)....I think small bore 2 strokes (125 and lower) should run non-o-ring chains. Other than that an O-ring chain cant be beat unless you run arenacross or supercross. What alot of people fail to realize is once the chain is warmed up (takes just a few seconds under power), the o-rings with the lube become supple and there is way less drag. Check the chain play and resistance after a hot lap and then check it cold. Big difference. What I like about O-ring chains is that a simple brush down when cleaning the bike and a shot of chain wax does the trick.

Good hd race non o-ring.

wash it, lube it, put it away. Easy enough for me. As long as you don't leave them dirty they last a long time. I don't much care for the accelerated wear on the sprockets or increased drag from an o-ring chain. I might go on and try me a nice x-ring next time though. Haven't run one yet.

Chain wear and streatch is what wears sprockets. Your sprocket life will be longer with a ring chain.

I just use stock chains and steel sprockets. Take care of the chain and it will last a long time. I have 25hrs on my YZ250's stock chain and its not worn out yet.

I must agree, by the time I get home sunday after dark the last thing I want to do is dismantle my rear end. And how does a chain last 6 seasons?? I'm amazed.

How do I get six seasons out of a chain you ask, well I start with a cheap off brand heavy duty non o-ring chain and match it with steel sprockets front and rear. Then I clean, lube and properly adjust it before the next ride. Also I don't ride every weekend, maybe one or two weekends and an occasional weekday a month from Spring to Fall and few Winter rides if indoor MX tracks are open. I use PJ1 black label chain lube and Tirox chain cleaner.

I have ringed and non ringed chains on my dirt bikes and ringed is definitely the way to go. "O" ring chains have friction issues but the newer "X" and "T" ring chains fixed the power loss issues. One problem with ringed chains is they are wider than non-ringed and a lot of smaller/older bikes were not designed for the wider ringed chains. DID makes a narrow "T" ring chain for those applications; 520VT2.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is the magical metal the O-ring chains they are riding made of to make them last longer as some claim? As far as I know, the only difference between an 0-ring and a normal chain is the O-rings 'seal the lube into the chain for the life of the chain', but everybody is cleaning and lubing their chain so the point is what?

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is the magical metal the O-ring chains they are riding made of to make them last longer as some claim? As far as I know, the only difference between an 0-ring and a normal chain is the O-rings 'seal the lube into the chain for the life of the chain', but everybody is cleaning and lubing their chain so the point is what?

the o-rings hold the lube inside the pins. that's the primary difference. without the o-rings the grease escapes much more readily. no amount of lube or general maintenance is going to re-pack those pins with grease. that's the point i guess