Sign in to follow this  

2008 YZF250 maintenance

I just bought my new YZF250, i was wondering after how many hours I should change the engine oil and tranny oil.

Thanks

A lot of guys say 3-5 hours. I do it every 3 rides including oil filter. And the engine and tranny oil are the same thing. Its all together not seprate for the trans and engine. Drain the oil tank on the front of the engine and drain the case by the bolt on the bottom of the case on the right side. Remove the filter housing and replace the filter. Thats pretty much it. Do you have a manual with it? If not it takes 1.15 ltrs of oil total with oil filter replacement. Take care of the bike and it will last you a long time. Congrats on the new bike too. :thumbsup:

i change my oil every 2 or 3 rides.

and change my air filter every other ride if not every ride. (check it after every ride)

Every other weekend if I'm riding regularly. I change the oil filter every other oil change. The air filter is done depending on conditions.

I run cheaper oil (non synthetic) so I change it every 3-4 hours with filter. You better tear that thing down and regrease all the bearings. Very little grease from facory.:thumbsup:

where is the oil strainer, how can i clean it and how do i get it off? I cant for the life of me find it.

The oil strainer is located IN the oil tank. The 10mm drain bolt under the skid plate is actually coming off the strainer. You have to remove another bolt and slide the strainer out. I checked mine once and it's quite a pain.

As far as regular maintainence, check everything after each ride. Don't forget tires/pressure and chain tension. I do my air filter after each ride and oil is usually every other ride, cleaning out my stainless steel oil filter every other change.