Sign in to follow this  

Confused about the fuel screw turns

When I purchased my new 09 TTR 125, it was already modified with the FMF exhaust and the jetting...seeing how i bought this during our worst winter ever, i haven't been able to jump on it and take it for a spin.

Ive been doing a lot of reading about this bike b/c ive never owned one..only street bikes...so when i read ppl constantly discussing the fuel screw and how many turns is it set at....i get confused:bonk: How am i supposed to know what its set at? The dealership said they took care of all the updates, and i wouldn't have to touch a thing...but i still want to know for future references! Whats an easy way to check this w/out screwing it all up?

When did you get it? Did it run well when you bought it? How many times have you ridden it in the last 2-4 weeks?

Unfortunately there's is no correct position except for the position YOUR bike runs it's best. It could 1 1/4 turns it could be 2 1/2 turns. I always start at 1 1/2 and go from there in 1/4 turn increments. But if it ain't broke don't fix it. A good the to do is if it's running good, count how many turns it is and use the for a reference point. However spring and summer are coming and it's going change anyway.

To answer your question "How am i supposed to know what its set at? "

You screw it in(clockwise), counting the number of turns until it is all the way in and stops. To put it back where it was, you then unscrew the same number of turns. This will be your reference point on your bike, now knowing what it was originally set at. This is usually 1 1/2 to 3 full 360 rotations of the screw. Make sense?